turn signals

-

DARTLARRY

Reaction score
I have been working on the dash and lights on my 72 dart. I have everything working except the turn signals. I have used a new switch, and changed the flasher relay and still nothing. I have no power to the turn signal switch, or the relay. my question is where does the 12v power for the switch come in at, the switch or the relay? Any help would be appreciated.

Don't forget to check your fuse box and the condition of the wiring and connectors at it. I believe it shares a fuse with the brake lights and a few other things.

Others have found fuses failed behind their metal end cap where it cant be seen or weak contact from fuse to terminal/clip in the box. Probe all around with a test lamp or clean all the contacts and replace all the fuses.

OK, just follow the "path," the road map the electrical diagram

In essence the power comes from the key, to the fuse panel, through the fuse, and to the turn flasher. That flasher should receive power at all times.

Does it?

Next, the flasher feeds power to the turn signal switch.

Power from the brake lights switch goes to the turn signal switch

Power from the hazard flasher goes to the turn signal switch.

Do brake lights work?

Do hazards work?

Does the turn flasher have power on both sides of the flasher?

Try a different flasher?

This IS electrical troubleshooting 101

The flasher for the turn signals is on right side of ash tray hanger if that helps.

...........and be aware there are TWO. How to tell?

1.....Refer to the wiring diagram and color codes

2......Check with your meter for power. The hazard flasher is hot with key off, the signal flasher is hot only with the key "on"

You should be able to swap them for testing

I have hazards. I have brake lights. The only thing that I do not have is turn signals. I have replaced the flasher. I have no power at the turn signal switch. I have no power at either side of the turn signal flasher. My fuses are fine.

My fuses are fine.

I have no idea what that means. "We" are not there. "We" do not know what and how or even if you have checked the fuses. "Fine" is not a description of fuses.

There's just about 3 ft of wire between the fuse panel and the flasher socket.

FOLLOW THE WIRING DIAGRAM

Power comes from the fuse to the flasher socket

Look at the top left of page 8-150, the diagram for the inst. panel, Valiant

Find the flasher, has wire D1--18BK and wire D2-18R coming off it

Follow those wires

D2-18R goes directly to the turn signal switch
=================================================================

The second wire coming off the flasher, .............

D1-18BK goes to "W" at the bulkhead connector. THIS IS A JUNCTION

From there it is wire B1--18W (white) And goes up the page to the RADIO power connector

THIS IS A SECOND JUNCTION

From there it turns BROWN, wire X12-18BR

SO CHECK THERE DO YOU HAVE POWER AT THE RADIO CONNECTOR?

Follow that X12-18BR on page 8-151, and WHERE does it go?

TO THE FUSE PANEL RADIO FUSE third fuse from the left on the diagram.

Follow that down and off the right side of the page, and onto the next page, 8-151 towards the bottom left

!!!RUSTY!!!! Where is that dammed crystal ball???

I found the problem!! I had a loose wire in the connector from the ignition that supplies power to the fuse box. Everything works fine now. Thank you very much for your time and patience.

If you had stated other accessories besides signals were inop we could have been more help. But anyway.... Happy moparing

-
Back