turn signals

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I am restoring a 65 Barracuda that has a lot of rust and corrosion. I have used a cleaner on the different connections and replaced all of the bulbs with good results till now. I took the bulb out of the front signal, cleaned the socket but can not put a bulb back in. Actually I can put it in but not turn it to lock it into place. The other bulbs I have replaced work fine but this one has me bugged. I tried different bulbs but they will not work in this socket. The old bulb will not work either. I had a hard time getting the old one out.
Anybody tell me what to do. Are those sockets replacable and if so where could they be purchased.
As always thanks for your help and have a great day.
Tommy

pin offset is correct and have used cleaner. Bulb goes straigght in but will not turn.

Get a pick and try to clean out the groves.
Does the bulb fit tight or lil loose?
You could sacrifice a bulb by filing pins off 1 at a time and checking for turn.

goes in easy but will not turn. took it to a guy who worked on cars for 40 years and he couldn't do it. seams like it bottoms out with no spring action.
I guess I'll keep fooling with it. like you said file the bottom and all. the socket is clean.
thanks for your advice.

Just went through this with my '66. Could have sworn that I had the bulb in right but it just wouldn't seat. Finally gave up and rotated the bulb 180 degrees and it went right in. I could only see one groove in the socket and that needs to line up with the tang that is about halfway up the base of the bulb. I had to start twisting the bulb as soon as the socket hit bottom. Any other way and it just wouldn't go. Hope this helps.

Have you tryed pushing the wires out ? They contacts, board, and spring should come out the front of the socket. You may have a rust issue beneath the board. The board should have a locating tang that keeps it from turning but will let it slide in/out. I'm guessing there is a kinked wire in there. You do have matching single contact bulb and socket or 2 contact bulb and socket I hope.

this is a 2 socket bulb with a 2 socket contact. I went back to the parts place so they could show the dummy how to put in a bulb. when I left I ask how many dummys it took to replace a bulb and they said more than 4 because thats how many of us stood there and tried. I came home and filed the bottom down but still can't turn the bulb. I will take the bottom out and try that. That sounds like maybe it could work. The saga of the turn signal bulb will continue.
thanks so much for your advice.

-
Back