Turning back the clock

-
ain't a pimple on it.....that I could find, and I looked. I really like your rear wheels wells. enlarged, but tastefully done....beautiful!

Been busy....busy.....busy. gotta catch up sometime.
I was going to call but..... you know the routine!

yes sir....I pick up the phone to do something and get sidetracked by e-mails, text, and phone messages

Let's see, it's Wednesday Night...so it goes...get ready for the gathering on Wednesday night. And practice party mode, and practice more party mode and then nap until it's time tell the employees what to and then party the rest of the night.......

Despite having a fresh 572 Hemi in the car, Denny collaborated with Butch to build a genuine
500" Butch Leal Pro-Stock Hemi for the Flash. They just spent a week in Troy, MI at Steve
Atwell's new shop (formerly Dave Kanner's) to get the job done.

Just boys having fun: L-R; Ted Spehar, Denny Laube, Butch Leal, Greg Charney and Steve Atwell.
Joe Pappas was not present at the time of the photo.

ueaQxhOrAV0_It8M1g9RAueN3hDgoVf4zk9p_YHvrMpMlmSXL4U8Wb5G4n0IvVkifFx1r2FyI&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

Last edited:
Turned out the Rod Shop Hemi is one of Butch's Hemi Pro Stock engines. Once we commenced the tear down, Butch pointed out several of his tell-tale modifications and markings. Makes sense, the Hemi was acquired packaged with Butch's 1982 P/S Rod Shop Plymouth Horizon, the last Hemi Pro Stock raced. The former Pro Stock Horizon, with what we believe to be a slightly milder Hemi and sporting Rat Roaster with a single 4-barrel, is now parked just over the left hand shoulder of its new owner, Steve Atwell ( right side of picture). Butch said at least a dozen times....."this is my Pro Stock engine!"

Last edited:
Despite having a fresh 572 Hemi in the car, Denny collaborated with Butch to build a genuine
500" Butch Leal Pro-Stock Hemi for the Flash. They just spent a week in Royal Oak at Steve
Atwell's new shop (formerly Dave Kanner's) to get the job done.

Just boys having fun: L-R; Ted Spehar, Denny Laube, Butch Leal, Greg Charney and Steve Atwell.
Joe Pappas was not present at the time of the photo.

View attachment 1715426040

Heavy hitters-----

As hot rod buddies go.....these guy are getting right up there with HemiMark, Big Jim, Donny and Ross .....although there were no cheese sandwich jokes. Maybe after they win a few races (they sure talk like they have????).......we can re-evaluate.

Last edited:
Lookin Awesome! Is it 100% now, or still details? Cool that a couple small parts of mine made it into this build (as least I assume they were used, lol) Hope the 'tour' makes it to Carlisle someday...

The only thing that is not 100% is that we still have to mount the new slicks (they are here).

Carlisle is a go and there should be a sizable contingent there as it is the 50th anniversary
of Pro-Stock. Hotels are already reserved. Butch is coming too!

I assume it runs. Do yall have any video? I probably missed it in this huge thread.

Denny, very nice. Good Iowa car hehehehe. Yes, I remember from where you got it. Never could figure out as to had this and other SS Mopars. You did well.

Lookin Awesome! Is it 100% now, or still details? Cool that a couple small parts of mine made it into this build (as least I assume they were used, lol) Hope the 'tour' makes it to Carlisle someday...

Yes they did... Thanks, If I remember right, it was some rear bumper 75 specific bolts / hardware and front fender braces.

Butch is already under contract to be @ Carlisle for this year. Still working on the CarCraft / Direct Connection cover backdrop. Get your very own (cover) picture with Butch, The Flash, and you!

The only thing that is not 100% is that we still have to mount the new slicks (they are here).

Carlisle is a go and there should be a sizable contingent there as it is the 50th anniversary
of Pro-Stock. Hotels are already reserved. Butch is coming too!

Yes they did... Thanks, If I remember right, it was some rear bumper 75 specific bolts / hardware and front fender braces.

Butch is already under contract to be @ Carlisle for this year. Still working on the CarCraft / Direct Connection cover backdrop. Get your very own (cover) picture with Butch, The Flash, and you!
Cool! And yes those were the parts. Look forward to seeing you guys there!

as a B/MP race car, there was not a lot of "trick" allowed....other than Butch Leal and one of his former Pro Stock Hemis. The Butler chassis is complete as originally built other than rear coil overs were added somewhere along the way. Everything to return the suspension to the as built leaf springs / ladder bars is intact....right down to the original pads on the original Dana and ladder bars. The trickest pieces I see are the rear forward strut bars that tie the chassis to the front of the ladder bar mounts. The way the rear frame rails are sectioned / narrowed along with the mounting of the front spring hangers are a work of art.

Our original thought was to bring it with my HDK mock-up Hemi to the Nats, but I have since decided to get to work on the re-hab instead.....and once I tear into it, I do want to half way re-build it for a car show.
Would love to see a picture of the underneath of that car and the work that had been done to it.

Awesome job! I'm impressed beyond words! I'm putting my 72 Dart in the paint shop Monday, to have some blue and red added in a somewhat similar Sox & Martin pattern, and I love the blue and red tones you used on The Flash. What paint colors/codes did you use if you don't mind me asking?

-
Back