Turning back the clock

-
judging by these pics, the Ghost of the Missile wasn't invited to MCACN? at least they asked for the Cal Flash M/P car... i haven't been for a couple of years, hope you enjoyed the show.
No way to haul both cars.

Last edited:
That thing is so awesome.

Special for you!

FB_IMG_1663714248005.jpg

sorry.....more MoParty 2022. With Justin (Mikes grandson / driver of Butch's 65 A990), Mike Kayrous (owner of Butch's 65 A990 race car), Paul Rossi....and yours truely

I was asked on Facebook what it is like to putt the Flash Duster down the strip next to the 65 A990. I replied "Remember your first time? (qualifier, with another person)......double it"

Denny can you show how the fuel line is run? I see where it goes to the outside but I'd like to see where it routes in front of the trans and how it gets back to the engine bay. Does it go through the front wheel well at all? Thanks!

yes it (still) does, as originally built with the original steel braided hose leading to the fuel log. I'll dig up a picture.

from 1975 CarCraft achieve photos (original) steel braided fuel line is coming into the engine compartment on the front of the passenger side fender apron (left of the alternator)

20181222_124830.jpg

20190909_083820.jpg

restored....I have since changed the alternator to replicate the original MotorCraft alternator. Butch said he went to his local alternator shop, grabbed a dozen and spun them to pick the freeist spinning one. Then he took the guts out of it. Since it had to be there, he used it to tighten the belt.

When he first saw the engine compartment, he poked me and whispered...."we didn't use alternators". I promptly grabbed the photo (above ) and pointed out the alternator . Then he said..."Oh yeah, this was the modified car....I meant we did not use them in Pro Stock" :)

20190731_172457.jpg

20220620_124852 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
drivers side with brake and line lock plumbing. The Line lock is mounted in the original holes. Sorry it is so filthy :).

20190220_114656.jpg

Huh, was not expecting to see the fuel line run through that particular spot. Guess it wasn't an issue so I suppose there is as good as anywhere else?

I've been trying to figure out the best way to accomplish that type of thing on my own car. There's a few places I've considered but definitely not there. I've had my fuel lines inside the frame connectors for as long as I've owned the car but would like to move them outside for obvious reasons. I've never been hassled about it at the track but no one ever looks under there anyway.

Regarding the brake lines - I'm guessing they didn't want the RF going across the firewall? I've actually been hassled by a tech guy about that who said it shouldn't be there. I said that's how it came from the factory, what do you want me to do? He said next time he'd want to see a gravel guard or relocate it! Little overboard for a 12 second car but I get it. I've seen another car recently with the RF line going across the bottom of the radiator support so I guess it's not a crazy idea.

Thanks!

original right front brake line across the front of the K still intact....cleaned up, but original.

20221109_133216 (1).jpg

Thanks. Only thing about that method is if you need to drop the K for some reason you're taking apart the brake lines too. Not an every day occurrence obviously but just seems like it would better to have it along the rad support. Surprised they did it like that knowing how often they were likely taking the engine out. Guess the K frame stayed.

Thanks. Only thing about that method is if you need to drop the K for some reason you're taking apart the brake lines too. Not an every day occurrence obviously but just seems like it would better to have it along the rad support. Surprised they did it like that knowing how often they were likely taking the engine out. Guess the K frame stayed.

The lines have more than enough wiggle to drop the K past the brake line. You can see a zip tie in the radiator support bolt hole holding the line in place on the K. I do not remember seeing any engine install / removal (NHRA or NASCAR) thru the bottom, back in those days or even now for that matter. Engines came out thru the top, with or without the transmission.

We started mimicking the factory install thru the bottom in the 90's to eliminate the scratches and install the engine, transmission, and exhaust manifolds / headers as a complete as possible. I don't think either was / is a high priority with either.

Last edited:
Huh, was not expecting to see the fuel line run through that particular spot. Guess it wasn't an issue so I suppose there is as good as anywhere else?

I've been trying to figure out the best way to accomplish that type of thing on my own car. There's a few places I've considered but definitely not there. I've had my fuel lines inside the frame connectors for as long as I've owned the car but would like to move them outside for obvious reasons. I've never been hassled about it at the track but no one ever looks under there anyway.

Regarding the brake lines - I'm guessing they didn't want the RF going across the firewall? I've actually been hassled by a tech guy about that who said it shouldn't be there. I said that's how it came from the factory, what do you want me to do? He said next time he'd want to see a gravel guard or relocate it! Little overboard for a 12 second car but I get it. I've seen another car recently with the RF line going across the bottom of the radiator support so I guess it's not a crazy idea.

Thanks!

I looked at it time and time again and the fuel line location makes sense. The 1/2" aluminum fuel line travels for the most part on the outside (like OEM) of the car and connects to 1/2" steel braided fuel line that stays out of the engine bay freeing up needed space but more importantly (IMO) away from engine / header heat. Where the steel braided line installs under the UCA, it cannot get crushed and is easily removable.

-
Back