Turning back the clock

-
I was concerned how the tall front tires would fit...looks like that got figured out over 40 years ago. Mocking up the Flash's suspension in the HDK mule confirmed the spindle is 1" forward of the factory placement.....a 2" front fender stretch on the front portion of the opening ( identical to my silver Duster) will place the tire where it needs to be for correct look and clearance.

This project is fairly easy because other than replacing some sheet metal and over the counter components (I think you can still buy the wheelie bars or maybe HemiMark will make me a deal on a set of look-a-likes he bought at a the Nats or Carlisle a few years back). ....... almost everything is there. Just need a pretty up.

Missing and in need of remaking are the mid plate along with period correct ladder bars which Gary has provided direction on both

Last edited:
On the paint......we are going to try to only remove the paint post Butch Leal / California Flash.

I'll bet there is 10 lbs of rubber in the rear fenderwell and under the trunk extensions. Might have to figure away to reclaim it and offer it for sale. :)

I was concerned how the tall front tires would fit...

That can be a problem on these cars!
IMG_2944_zpsssss6dqe.jpg

They were running Firestone Drag 500's front and rear....Impossible to find good (safe) ones now.

flash%20sanair_zpshowtaylo.jpg

Today, Scruffs and I dis-assembled the mock-up Hemi including headers, clutch cross-shaft / likage and dummy trans along with the Flash front suspension out of the mule to take over to the Flash (in the welding shop) for mock -up. I'm a big believer in first test fit....then test fit a second time....then test fit again, all before paint.

Tomorrow, the floor gets tackled.

this is exhilarating.....it is fun putting what I have experienced hot rodding A bodies, especially Hemi A bodies, into this project

Last edited:
Today, Scruffs and I dis-assembled the mock-up Hemi including headers, clutch cross-shaft / likage and dummy trans along with the Flash front suspension out of the mule to take over to the Flash (in the welding shop) for mock -up. I'm a big believer in first test fit....then test fit a second time....then test fit again, all before paint.

Tomorrow, the floor gets tackled.

this is exhilarating.....it is fun putting what I have experienced hot rodding A bodies, especially Hemi A bodies, into this project

you are definitely the only one who could do this car justice.......
if anyone else tried, they would have to come to you for help.... or screw it up

Yall are kickin *** on this. Really glad yall ended up with it. You're gonna do it way beyond justice.

Thanks guys for the vote of confidence, certainly no one individual effort. John (OMM) and I are working with the best fabricator and body/painter we know.

Last edited:
you have more pics & info about this old car or a link to a thread/website for it? i don't know if i've heard the story about it.....

The Flash now has all the front sheet metal welded in place, next to repair is the spare tire well and fill a few holes in the trunk that do not belong. The driveline mock up in the Flash is delayed until next week, instead the body (shell) is now on the rotisserie to ease the final sheet metal repairs

Friday was reserved for fabrication of K frames that need shipped out shortly.

Last edited:
Kinda Deja Vu for us actually - Denny's and Hooshpuppy's Duster in 1975:

LHDusterLgc_zpsabba587f.jpg

Lau-HauMIR_zpsb5f3db02.jpg

I'm pretty sure the front Direct Connection plate on THIS Duster (circa 1975) is hanging on Weebs (brother Dave) garage wall......he said I could have it back for the Flash.....and I will take him up on the offer. Ross also donated his cherished DC plate and it will go on the rear.

Those that know us are well aware that I never have to throw anything (Mopar related) away....I simply give it to Weeb. I have however, re-claimed a few items over the years. Recently, I had to re-claim the bumper mounts removed from the wire car build for the Flash. The rears will be used "as-is" while the fronts will be lightened, but replicate the factory pieces. Gary said Butch hated any weight up front.....but because he felt Dusters were already light in the rear, loved weight behind the rear axle. I noticed the bumper jack brackets are still intact while all other non essential brackets forward of the axle were removed. All the little stuff adds up..... for the record holders.

Last edited:
(I think you can still buy the wheelie bars or maybe HemiMark will make me a deal on a set of look-a-likes he bought at a the Nats or Carlisle a few years back). .......

Missing and in need of remaking are the mid plate along with period correct ladder bars which Gary has provided direction on both

I put the wheelie bars to the side with your name on them. No problem

When you bought those I wondered why....at that time I had no idea I was gonna need them.

Thanks Mark

Leal car on the rotisserie this week for the core support, front inner fenders, firewall, front half of floor and the spare tire well. After a few more days of welding and grinding it goes straight to our body and paint guy.

Even though this car was all white when new, it will follow Chrysler's build dictate where by the entire shell gets painted black and then the exterior of the body only (not the engine compartment, door jambs, trunk, wheel wells etc.) will receive the final finish.

Lealo%20HAWK%200909165%20042_zpsxd6dm0if.jpg

Lealo%20HAWK%200909165%20044_zpsr5zqkp1c.jpg

Lealo%20HAWK%200909165%20036_zpsbdowk7l0.jpg

Lealo%20HAWK%200909165%20034_zpsgp3ddijs.jpg

Lealo%20HAWK%200909165%20035_zpsq2qby2em.jpg

Lealo%20HAWK%200909165%20025_zpsmzdodaj9.jpg

........after a drive line test fit for M/P tunnel modification

it is coming along nicely....I will say.

Dammit. You boys ain't been dickin off. Are yall gonna get The California Flash hisself to autograph it when you're done? I just "bet" he'd do it.

-
Back