Turning back the clock

-
2 weeks..... (standard reply whenever asked for completion date on anything)

At the rate you're going, I wouldn't be surprised. Don't be modest, you know this project is moving at a really fast pace. Like, a ridiculously fast pace.

I won't start moaning and groaning here about how long it's taking me to finish my own car...

Leal car on the rotisserie this week for the core support, front inner fenders, firewall, front half of floor and the spare tire well. After a few more days of welding and grinding it goes straight to our body and paint guy.

Even though this car was all white when new, it will follow Chrysler's build dictate where by the entire shell gets painted black and then the exterior of the body only (not the engine compartment, door jambs, trunk, wheel wells etc.) will receive the final finish.

Lealo%20HAWK%200909165%20042_zpsxd6dm0if.jpg

Lealo%20HAWK%200909165%20044_zpsr5zqkp1c.jpg

Lealo%20HAWK%200909165%20036_zpsbdowk7l0.jpg

Lealo%20HAWK%200909165%20034_zpsgp3ddijs.jpg

Lealo%20HAWK%200909165%20035_zpsq2qby2em.jpg

Lealo%20HAWK%200909165%20025_zpsmzdodaj9.jpg

Have not even broke the news to John (OMM) yet......but according to my recently acquired 8" x 8" glossy photos / proofs from the April 1975 Car Craft photo shoot....the front attaching points for the ladder bars will be removed and returned to original. I have a excellent photo showing a much more simple non-adjustable (up / down) mount (perhaps front to rear adjustable) that utilizes a quick release pin. No additional side to side round tube bar or the round tube re-enforcing lateral supports.

Due to the look of the age of the front ladder bar mounts, I would have guessed them possibly original....but when I scrutinized the welds, I became suspicious. Then I started looking at action photos of the Flash racing in '75 and '76......and came to the conclusion.....it was raced by Butch as pictured in the Car Craft photos. I'm guessing the mounts were modified / changed when the leaf springs were removed and the rear coil overs added. From every picture I have seen (wheels up) the leaf spring / ladder bars worked great.

Last edited:
before we cut.....I will confirm my thoughts with Gary

before we cut.....I will confirm my thoughts with Gary
Send Gary some of those new pictures I took Thursday. Those Car Craft pics were taken when the paint was barely dry and maybe it wasn't even done yet. Either way, it may have been modified/changed shortly thereafter by Gary himself.

already did.....and asked him the very question.

but, that is why I went back and looked closely at the Flash being raced in '75 and '76....you can see the bars configured as they are in the CC photos

when I examined the welds with the Flash on the rotisserie Friday afternoon is when I became suspect....but then when I arrived home, the pictures were on my doorstep.....and told the tale.

Last edited:
Checked with Gary and confirmed the simple front ladder bar mount was never altered by him, especially to what is attached now.....the best part is, upon closer inspection, ALL of the original mounts are still there, simply added over them.

Mark (Fog) has other customer fab work to complete at his shop, so it will be until next week until we finish up. I will spend any free time I have grinding some welds.

I will get a hold of Bob Lambeck tomorrow on the item (s) we talked about. He should be back from racing with his son by now.

Is it done yet?
No. Found some new info about different original ladder bar mounts hidden by the current ones that evidently were added later when the coil over shocks were installed. Further investigation and some previously unpublished original B+W photos from Peterson archives of the Car Craft magazine shoot confirmed this. The original simple front ladder bar mounts have been unearthed. The car is still on the rotisserie while more repair welding and grinding is being performed before the trip to the body shop.

uc2_zpspbeanjzl.jpg

Meanwhile.....

The concrete floor is being poured at the new HDK building today. Looks like it's
going to take at least three truck loads. Can't wait to get everything under one
roof!

hdk%20concrete%201%20003_zpsefirgkz6.jpg

hdk%20concrete%201%20005_zps0pijmgeu.jpg

Last edited:
Ha, just bustin' chops. I will say it again, you guys work really fast.

This thing is like an drag racing archaeology project, you've managed to uncover some really cool stuff!

BTW, that new shack looks great. Can I come over?

......that new shack looks great. Can I come over?
Sure. you might want to wait until the building is done though....LOL

Coming from NY you'll need to plan on stopping at Hemimark's in Pittsgurgh
and Ross's (Orange wagon) in Akron...just a convenient couple of blocks from
Summit Racing's main store (be sure to tour the Ross Gordon wing).

My wife is from Pittsburgh, I'm there a few times a year. Better watch what ya wish for! We usually go for whatever holiday is happening so I'm generally bored out of my skull and thoroughly annoyed at having to do family stuff for days on end. Perhaps I can make a small diversion next trip to mitigate some of the torture.

Seriously though, place looks great. You guys rock.

Ha, just bustin' chops. I will say it again, you guys work really fast.

This thing is like an drag racing archaeology project, you've managed to uncover some really cool stuff!

BTW, that new shack looks great. Can I come over?

always welcome......in a few months I will be camped out most days in the new world headquarters....no more house re-hab or shuffling my hot rod inventory all over my zip code. Then the fun begins.

best part is the location....next door to Brother Dave and Brother John (OMM) is just a few doors down...Crap, I will never get anything done...WTF was I thinking???

always welcome......in a few months I will be camped out most days in the new world headquarters....no more house re-hab or shuffling my hot rod inventory all over my zip code. Then the fun begins.

best part is the location....next door to Brother Dave and Brother John (OMM) is just a few doors down...Crap, I will never get anything done...WTF was I thinking???

Sounds like fun to me.
Is there anything better than family. I cant wait ti see it.

just a tid-bit....when Mark closed the holes for the charging ports and the battery cut-off switch on the rear tail panel....the heat caused the surrounding paint to bubble. The Flash's exterior must have been painted 4 or 5, even 6 times....always over the top of the previous paint job. The bottom...only black / once

our plan is to go down to the factory white....and go from there. More than likely we will to see exactly where the original red / white / blue striping was located....it is under the layers......somewhere.

Last edited:
The California Flash is just about ready to come off of the rotisserie.
The prototypes of the elephant ears have been created in steel and will
be replicated in aluminum with the original patterns. The prototype headers have been fitted and only have the special replica collector ends to be installed. Right now the mid-plate / bell housing area is being finished.
Soon to the body shop, we have all winter and the "dirty details" are being finished. When it comes home it will go straight to the new HDK shop.

Leal%20car%20101116%20003_zpsqa0vj59z.jpg

Leal%20car%20101116%20004_zpsnbap4ne7.jpg

Leal%20car%20101116%20006_zpsouwqioua.jpg

Leal%20car%20101116%20010_zpsgi4ivulq.jpg

Leal%20car%20101116%20007_zpsliucik3z.jpg

-
Back