Tweaking trunk torsion rods for more power

-

340doc

Reaction score
Hey all, the trunk torsion rods in my 68 Dart conv. have lost the ability to get it up! They wont hold the trunk all the way up, just about half way. I have them set to the strongest hole. Has anyone removed these and tried heating them and putting more twist in them to give them more Omph?

I had the same problem and went to the gas struts. Usually its no the rod its where it attaches. Look at the metal that the rod rides on. My guess is where the rod rides is shot.

I know what you mean, but my slots are ok. I've seen some posts on here about the struts. Will have to see. Thanks for the reply.

napa numbers for the lift supports and brackets 819-5672, 735-1898, 735-1899

To your original question, I tried this.

My rods were so weak, they wouldn't "open" the trunk, or "support" it at any level of open, or full open. As soon as you let go of it, it would just fall on your head..lol

I tried removing the rods, I put one end in my bench vise, and used a 3' long screwdriver as a lever on the other end, and I bent them a little, so they would have to twist farther to get into place on the car, and hopefully give more lift.

Well, it worked, slightly, but after a few opening and closings of the trunk, they kind of just returned to their old level of not working.

I'm leaving them in place, and adding a small strut, or maybe two to "assist".

I have one on it right now, which wont open the trunk from full closed, but once the trunk is about 1/2 open, then the strut takes over and opens it all the way, and holds it open fine.

I want to ad second strut to the other side, so that it opens by itself when you unlatch the trunk, like the video that Skep419 posted.

As a used vehicle service tech I've replaced hundreds of those modern gas charged lift struts on every brand of vehicle.
I've never needed to replace the steel torsion lifts on any Chrysler product. I have seen other owners with the same failure you have though so maybe its just luck of the draw.
I think the very simplest solution would be to install a good used set of OEM parts.
You might never need to touch them again. I cant say the same about the modern struts. Replacing those in 5 years or less is a safe bet.

-
Back