Twin Scoops On My Duster..

-

DOUGIE800

Reaction score
Ive been searching around for a set of twin scoops(new) I found them at YearOne $350. U.S. But I want them for more than show I want to this winter get the Holes put in my hood and Im sure Ive seen a Grommet kit that fits under the scoops around the holes. Anyone know where I woulda seen these? Of course I didn't save in Favorites. And If theres a cheaper set thats as good Let me know Thanks D

From what I have heard they can be had for way cheaper than YearOne. Ask around here someone surely has an original set that would probably be cheaper.

I have a set on my duster but I think I am going to keep them since the holes are already cut in my hood and it came factory with them. I found a carburated dual ram air snorkel set up that I will probably plum up to the botom of each hole and have functional dual ram air filter set up....good luck on the search

IMO the repro Yearone scoops are very poorly made and overpriced. I would highly recommend that you spend some time looking for an original set of them. I have an original set that I purchased for my car and I have seen several sets of the repro ones and the Yearone models are junk in comparision. The way that the Chrome bezel on the front mounts on doesnt always fit flush on the repro's and I have seen where they dont mount flush to the hood and have to have been sanded. Alot of the time they come with alot of pitting in the fiberglass and need to be filled and primed before you can even think of painting them. Basically you have to put alot of work into something you are already paying top dollar for. I paid 225 for mine that are originally off of a Super Bee and they came with Chrome bezels that were almost perfect so I would suggest you look around at some OEM pieces instead.

Hope this helps
Jeff

I agree with JeffTheMarine. I tried 3 different sets of scoops from Year-One before I told them to stop sending them and refund my money.
I did find a nice set from www.MoparsByCrane.com, but I understand they closed up shop. To bad because the first set I got from them were keepers.
Good luck on your search!

Dan

Right on Boys thanks for ther input, will keep looking no hurry anyway. I gave a set away about 18 years ago thinking I would never use them. My car had a Demon/Dart front clip when I got it and gave the scooped up hood away once I aquired the Plymouth Parts D

I agree with JeffTheMarine. I tried 3 different sets of scoops from Year-One before I told them to stop sending them and refund my money.
I did find a nice set from www.MoparsByCrane.com, but I understand they closed up shop. To bad because the first set I got from them were keepers.
Good luck on your search!

Dan
Thanks Dan, Found these on Ebay Still Expensive but how do these look compared to the Ones YearOne kept sending you? Thanks D http://cgi.ebay.ca/Hood-Scoops-Beze...ries?hash=item4cea8e100a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I am going to order a set as well. I ordered my paint yesterday. :cheers:
I just redid my scoops.
Not finished yet but here's a pic.
Painted the scoops on the Swinger Rustoleum satin black

DSC00055 (Custom).JPG

Those ones look really nice compared to the year one junk. I would personally pay the amount for a nice brand new set like those. Funny thing about your Duster having the Dart/Demon front clip. When I bought my Demon it had a 70/71 Duster front clip on it. To bad we didnt cross paths at that time. Would have worked out great. LOL.

Jeff

Thanks Dan, Found these on Ebay Still Expensive but how do these look compared to the Ones YearOne kept sending you? Thanks D http://cgi.ebay.ca/Hood-Scoops-Beze...ries?hash=item4cea8e100a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

DOUGIE800,

Those look much better than what Year-One was offering up when I was looking. At that time the Y-O scoops had HUGE gaps between the chrome bezels and the lower corners (both sides) of the scoops. IIRC the Y-O scoops were priced about the same.
Might want to check out their (Firestone Collectibles) return policy. If they will accept a return if you are not satisfied with the quality, then give 'em a try.

Dan

Those ones look really nice compared to the year one junk. I would personally pay the amount for a nice brand new set like those. Funny thing about your Duster having the Dart/Demon front clip. When I bought my Demon it had a 70/71 Duster front clip on it. To bad we didnt cross paths at that time. Would have worked out great. LOL.

Jeff
My Car musta been In a crash at one time, cause the inner fenders had been reaplaced and the fella that did my Body had a rust free 69 Dart that was smoked hard In the rear so reaplaced mine with the Darts. The front clip was off a Sassy Gr Green Dart/Demon Remember seeing the paint under the Orange In the front. Here it is In 1989 when I bought it for a wamping $900 lol D

DSCN0820.jpg

DOUGIE800,

Those look much better than what Year-One was offering up when I was looking. At that time the Y-O scoops had HUGE gaps between the chrome bezels and the lower corners (both sides) of the scoops. IIRC the Y-O scoops were priced about the same.
Might want to check out their (Firestone Collectibles) return policy. If they will accept a return if you are not satisfied with the quality, then give 'em a try.

Dan
Hey Dan Is It hard to Find hole locations in the hood? Is there a method/diagram somewhere with measurements? I see under my hood theres four holes in the bracing for the hood. But really wouldnt help too much when the time comes. D

Bad *** looking car. Yeah I also have a wrinkle on the inside of my fenderwell. Nothing that is not fixable and the frame wasnt damage. Is that a mullet I see? Gotta love the 80's.

Well It wasn't a Mullet pursay cause was long in the front and sides lol, Yeah have a starter Kit "Hole in My Haircut" coming now but pushing 40..:fucyc:

I know that in the yearone catalogs they have a diagram for cutting the holes in the hoods for the scoops. Either way I am pretty sure if you asked one of the guys on the site they could make a stencil for you. That is what I would do if I was you. I would make you one off of my Demon hood, I am pretty positive that the scoops are mounted in the same locations on the hoods. I have seen them next to each other before and they are mounted in the same locations. Let me know if you want me to make you one and I will get a big pieve of butch paper and make one and fold it up and send it out to you.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I emailed the Fella On Ebay and waiting a Reply they may have a Template/Mearurements to use have to wait and see what he sais. If I recall the Demon/Dart Hood was longer but Im sure they sit In Respect to the Cowl the same distance forward. For all I know they may also come with grommets too who knows. Been having few problems with heat and possible vapour lock when very Hot out gets very warm under my hood so thinking a Pair of these would be dandy If they are functional and will Make for some cool cosmetics! Kinda Hoping no paint will be neccesary just find the spot have the Holes drilled and done. D

Hey Dan Is It hard to Find hole locations in the hood? Is there a method/diagram somewhere with measurements? I see under my hood theres four holes in the bracing for the hood. But really wouldnt help too much when the time comes. D

DOUGIE800,

After I got my scoops I numbered each stud and made measurements from (the center line of each hole to the center line of each hole) stud #1-stud #2, stud #1-stud #3, stud #1-stud #4 etc... I then made a stencil from those measurements.
You'll want to measure the underhood holes in the bracing and go from there. Make sure you use "painters tape" on the hood when drilling. Also, make a small pilot hole and then follow up with a "step drill" to prevent chipping the paint (the "step drill" does not rip and tear into the metal like a regular bit).

Dan

-
Back