**Twin Turbo 67 Dart Project**

-
I did get time yesterday to drop off the parts to the powder coater. They will be ready this coming friday.
As of now I am seriously contemplating getting it together and running it without painting it. Reason is if I run into any problems and something major needs to be changed/chopped up cut on or anything it would be no big deal to fix it. Plus it would be cool as all get out to get it all dailed in as a full blown sleeper. If I decide to go that route there is still a lot of work to do.

I did get time yesterday to drop off the parts to the powder coater. They will be ready this coming friday.
As of now I am seriously contemplating getting it together and running it without painting it. Reason is if I run into any problems and something major needs to be changed/chopped up cut on or anything it would be no big deal to fix it. Plus it would be cool as all get out to get it all dailed in as a full blown sleeper. If I decide to go that route there is still a lot of work to do.

I know it's not the vision you have running without paint. I think it would look bad ***.

My Dart gets mixed reactions with it's original thrashed paint. About 50% will say yea all it needs is paint but the body is so strait! The other 50% Say don't do a thing this Dart is perfect! LOL...

Of course I teeter back and forth myself on the paint issue with my car to. Not sure what it is, maybe my age. I see the pretty painted cars but they all just start looking the same. I'm much more drawn to unrestored cars, especially if it's a rare factory car or an unassuming warrior.

You put it together you might not want to tear it apart........

Yes I have thought about that. 1 good trade off would be I could go beat the crap out of it and run the wheels off it. Well, im gunna do that anyway when it gets painted!! haaa:D

zhandful: I know it's not the vision you have running without paint. I think it would look bad ***.

My Dart gets mixed reactions with it's original thrashed paint. About 50% will say yea all it needs is paint but the body is so strait! The other 50% Say don't do a thing this Dart is perfect! LOL...

Of course I teeter back and forth myself on the paint issue with my car to. Not sure what it is, maybe my age. I see the pretty painted cars but they all just start looking the same. I'm much more drawn to unrestored cars, especially if it's a rare factory car or an unassuming warrior.

Yeah I know all to well. A guy sent me a link to a true sleeper yesterday and it really got my wheels turning.

Ill share it here........

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Hv_jRQMv8"]Super Sleeper 1972 Nova - BIG MUSCLE - YouTube[/ame]

Just detail the engine bay and get the darn thing running!!! LoL.....

No kidding. My original plan was to paint the engine bay, trunk, jambs etc along with scraping the bottom of the car & under the fender wells and detail them out. Put it together and get it tuned and running correctly then paint the rest of the car. Either way I still have a long laundry list of things to get done. If I had 2 Days Straight on it. I really think I could be ready to have those things done "Paint, Scrape and Detail the underside" by someone else.

That would definitely be an unassuming warrior !

Bad *** ride even if it is a Chivy! I think I would have rebuilt the steering for sure! I can't say the SRT is a sleeper but I have been having some fun in it!:D

It sure does draw attention!

Starting to figure out where I need to mount everything. I am going to run 2 Drycell Oddysey Battery's that are Rated at 1500PHCA & 880CCA.

High rate discharge:
1,500 amps for 5 seconds
1,280 amps for 10 seconds
1,170 amps for 15 seconds
1,100 amps for 20 seconds

These also have 135 minute reserve at 25amps. There will be an outside shut off switch just under the bumper and a Dual Battery selection control switch in the trunk. I was going to cut out the spare tire well but as of now have decided against it. The meth tank will go forward as possible and a 20 Gal Fuel cell will mount over the fuel pumps with some fab work.
The transmission cooler will go under the car where the stock gas tank use to be. I will probably run 2 of these coolers piggyback next to each other.

I will be ordering the Fuel Cell this week so I can get all the rest of the fab work and welding finally done.

View attachment php8C0DPkAM.jpg

View attachment phpvnZ5v1AM.jpg

View attachment phpYnuBc6AM.jpg

View attachment phpAf2MxcAM.jpg

View attachment phpQdfFH7AM.jpg

By the time you get it all mounted not much will be visible.
When I lived in NJ I helped a buddy with a 66 BB Vette. Car was apart when he got the car. We just kind of threw it together, put a freshened up 427/M22 in it. I left in 1993. Went back in 02 or 03 he was still running it. His "done" car, the one that was painted and fully restored had been driven 100 miles in the time I was gone, the other one had close to 80k put on it during that time. And was still in the same exact shape as it was when I last saw it. He said he was having way to much fun driving it (both were drop tops) to be bothered taking it all apart again. He was afraid that if he took it back apart he might not have the desire to put it back together.

Yeah you will only see the tanks. There will be a trunk mat cut all around everything. I am thinking maybe mounting the fuel cell on some kind of hinge system so I can get to the wiring/fuel pumps etc under there. It will have at least 5-6 Relays in that area along with the starter solenoid and other miscellaneous wiring.

I hear you on tearing the car apart for paint and putting it back together. Sort of a trade off for having fun driving it!

I can say I am kind regretting getting my car painted before it was a running, driving car.

I can say I am kind regretting getting my car painted before it was a running, driving car.

I think anyway I do just about anything to this car, after that section/part is complete, I alway come up with another idea and wish I would have done it different. :banghead:

Is that triangular 4 link under your dart? Wtf? You making it a mustang or something? Is it a mostly bolt in design or all fabbed up stuff?

Yea i seen the link in your sig. You need more time to build this crazy ****. Damn i wish i had your time and fab skills. Woonder how well that would work on a badass x275 car @ 1300whp

Yea i seen the link in your sig. You need more time to build this crazy ****. Damn i wish i had your time and fab skills. Woonder how well that would work on a badass x275 car @ 1300whp

I wish I had more time. That Rear took me 6 months to build. Couple hours here and there.

Forgot to mention I dig your Post car. Wish mine was a post!!

Hey, I thought I would chime in on the tire rub issues. Do you guys plan on running rear anti sway bars? My Chevelle has a 4 link (factory) and without the sway bar it rubs like a mother and twists up ridiculously on launch. It work ok at a low HP but once we put the BIG block in it then it really needed it to launch straight. Just my 2 cents.

Hey, I thought I would chime in on the tire rub issues. Do you guys plan on running rear anti sway bars? My Chevelle has a 4 link (factory) and without the sway bar it rubs like a mother and twists up ridiculously on launch. It work ok at a low HP but once we put the BIG block in it then it really needed it to launch straight. Just my 2 cents.

Well I never even thought about it. I guess I could add one. Just hoping I can bolt one on though or else I will need to grind off poweder coat, weld on brackets and then get it re done.
Either way it would need to be a custom deal.

What about a diagonal tracking bar? Would that work to keep it straight?
Remember this is a boosted application so the Hit should not be too radical. I
will be able to control it with the EBC through the MS3X.

Most bigger hp chevys cars seem to really twist up on launching unless they have pretty serious chassis and suspension modifications. The Mopars cars don't really seem to have those same issues.

Could it be the difference between a unibody car vs a full framed car? Or do you think it is related to leaf spring vs 4 link coil over?

Most bigger hp chevys cars seem to really twist up on launching unless they have pretty serious chassis and suspension modifications. The Mopars cars don't really seem to have those same issues.

Could it be the difference between a unibody car vs a full framed car? Or do you think it is related to leaf spring vs 4 link coil over?

Definitely a four link issue. Especially when you use heim or roto joint since they have no resistance to movement and have little friction. My car on leaf springs did it pretty bad when turbo'd.

Oh and my Chevelle drove all over the place on the big end and when I put the sway bar on it went away completely.

You definitely want an adjustable bar so you can preload it.

-
Back