Twin Turbos PLUS !!!!

-
He is only running 14 pound of BOOST:banghead: Turn the boost up and forget about the nos.

he is running a 14-71 blower not a 4-71 or a 6-71 but a 14-71 and only running 14 pound of boost.
Mad Dart, i thing you are right, the turbos are not creating any boost to the equation!

The only thread that i have read about combining a turbo with a super charge he called it TWINCHARGER

In that article he said that the turbo+ charger was not the pressure it made. it was X or somthing like that......Hmmmm

I still don't full under stand this stuff and the pressure ratios and all! so i will just quote what i read on that thread.

If your interested and want to read the hole thread it is here

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=174690
Why are you so worked up over this?

Building such a monster and not letting it out bugs me.

But the hole "Turbo/Blower set up" is interesting to me. And I have read a little bit about it. Just seeing if it spark interest with some one that's not a "Boost Noob" like my self :coffee2:

the guy said in the interview that he built a show car and not a race car! doesnt care how much horsepower or how fast it is, just built it for the wow factor. so for people to say- i bet that doesnt work or he'll never take it to the track, he's scared to hit the throttle, who give a F-bomb! that thing is crazy! to each his own. at least he drives the thing.

Clearly a more money than brains situation. He likely went to a shop and said "i want a supercharged bigblock vette with twin turbos and a butterfly scoop!" Shop thought "That wont work, this guy's an idiot...lets just appease his stupidity and he'll never know the difference."

the guy said in the interview that he built a show car and not a race car! doesnt care how much horsepower or how fast it is, just built it for the wow factor. so for people to say- i bet that doesnt work or he'll never take it to the track, he's scared to hit the throttle, who give a F-bomb! that thing is crazy! to each his own. at least he drives the thing.

Parking lot cruiser is what he wanted!

Parking lot cruiser is what he wanted!
Yup and he got it!
From the Garage to the inclosed trailer, to the car show, Back to the Garage.

And he sure pulled the WOW factor!

smokendust You are right,he didn't claim to have build it for racing. It is a show car and it sure does that well.

There is a GRATE advantage with mixing a blower with turbo/s.
And that's why i posted up the quote and link on the previous page.

I guess i should have just started a new thread on blown/turbo/s set up buts no interest, besides I'm the student not the teach.

It is his $$, why care why he built the car? Hell, if he built it to light it on fire & push it off of a cliff still no concern of mine.....

Correct, that is how I was explaining it. As far as the blow off valves on the intake tract, no they don't work like he has them. They are on the right tubes but the Lil hoses are hooked to the wrong spot for vacuum reference. They should be hooked up on the carb spacer under the carb butterflies. This way when you smash the throttle they are reading boost keeping them closed not letting boost escape. Then when the carb butterflies slam shut the blow off valves will be activated by vacuum when the engine is looking for air it will pull on the diaphragms releasing the pressure in the intake tract.

Since he has the blow off lines hooked up into the beginning of the intake tract he is actually sucking on the diaphragm of the blow off valves at idle and even worse as he cracks the throttle open more which is blowing off all the boost the turbos are creating before it can get to the engine. The blower could create boost but the intake tract air produced by the turbos is not making it into the engine how he has it.

Im not doubting you or cudafever, so please school me where im wrong.

There is still a set of butterflies before the turbo inlet. This does create a vacuum at idle, but when it opens up, that vacuum should go to 0. If the springs are strong enough the bov's should hold 14lbs of boost. Not needing boost pressure to hold them closed.

What about the blower... A true boost reference should come after the blower right? Not between the carbs and the blower, since that area still sees vacuum from the blower. Also That 14-71 probably moves more air than the turbos.

Anyways, the only thing im sure of is that I dont know crap. And also, haters are everywhere. Let the guy do whatever he wants with his money. That car is one of a kind, arent we all trying to accomplish the same? I know I am. To each their own.

Im not doubting you or cudafever, so please school me where im wrong.

There is still a set of butterflies before the turbo inlet. This does create a vacuum at idle, but when it opens up, that vacuum should go to 0. If the springs are strong enough the bov's should hold 14lbs of boost. Not needing boost pressure to hold them closed.

What about the blower... A true boost reference should come after the blower right? Not between the carbs and the blower, since that area still sees vacuum from the blower. Also That 14-71 probably moves more air than the turbos.

Anyways, the only thing im sure of is that I dont know crap. And also, haters are everywhere. Let the guy do whatever he wants with his money. That car is one of a kind, arent we all trying to accomplish the same? I know I am. To each their own.

For it to be plumbed correctly the vac source should always be from a pressurized source "boost referenced" so the BOV's can react like they should when the carb or throttle body slams shut and the motor is looking for air. Vac to outside air? You want your vac source to come from as close to the engine as possible behind the last set of butterfly's closest to the engine wether it is a carb or throttle body/plate etc

So with what your thinking it dont matter where he taps in? right after the butterfly's would be ok then where the air first is getting sucked in where an air cleaner should be? I don't know about that one. It would never source correct Vac that way cause you still got the set of butterfly's on the carbs to deal with, your vac source is in between the two butterfly's. It would read all Fkd up like that and never work correctly.

With his set up the boost created by the supercharger goes through the engine out the exhaust which spins the turbos which pressurized the intake tract. So it gets confusing :banghead:For an accurate boost reading "gauge port" should come after the blower blades on the engine side. The waste gates should probably get there signal from before the blower.. You would have two different boost readings with that set up. 1 reading before the blower blades and a different one on the other side of the blower.

And yes spend your $$ how you want. He did, likes it so that is good.

Before i get more confused... The turbos will only generate boost after they generate more air than the blower is demanding correct? Or vice versa.
So like you said, the correct place for boost-vacuum reference, for the bov's, is between the carb and blower.

I think its best if i dont look at this thread or comment anymore... For my own sake. :D

People build crazier stuff than that and push them in and out of the trailer. I remember seeing some stuff like that that are a block with no gut, and a blower with no guts...just a hollow shell. I guess if that guy ever decided to race it, he could make it work. He did say it was a show car and as stupid as it looks, it shows pretty well...and makes you think a lot judged by some of the comments. My first thought was the turbo would blow thru...the blower hat into the atmosphere. That hillbilly don't care. It does what he build it to do..get looks.

a set up like that could work. But tbh, the kind of boost it would realise if set up properly would demand methanol fueling at the very least. All he's got there is a stupid car with a huge blindspot right in front of the driver.
COMPLETE waste of time.

Meh. The car is not my kind of thing. I also stopped going to car shows when I was in my early 20's too. Just don't get the mentality. But, I'm not going to bash someone's build for how or why they wanted to either. I get plenty of crap for my Dart because It's a post car. And the so called "purists" don't even acknowledge it because of it being a big block swap. Ask me how much I care? To each their own.

Meh. The car is not my kind of thing. I also stopped going to car shows when I was in my early 20's too. Just don't get the mentality. But, I'm not going to bash someone's build for how or why they wanted to either. I get plenty of crap for my Dart because It's a post car. And the so called "purists" don't even acknowledge it because of it being a big block swap. Ask me how much I care? To each their own.

My 2nd Dart is a 2dr post car. How many people have asked you if it's a Chevelle? :tard:

My 2nd Dart is a 2dr post car. How many people have asked you if it's a Chevelle? :tard:

Ha! That's good. Haven't been asked if it's a Chevelle yet...Been asked if It's a Nova, and plenty of "What kind of car is that?"s. I was asked by a really nice little old guy, if it was the "Dukes of Hazzard car" lol....That was probably my favorite!

Man I love love that car,

if he gives it to me I will just put in a different engine ,dye the interrior black,take out some of the excessive roll cage,the whellie bars,and the ground effects.

But other than those small changes I love the car just how it sits

I remember there was a guy in the early '80s I think named Rick Dobbertin (?) who built a twin turbo'd and supercharged early Nova. I think the show name was "InNovation". It actually ran and was reasonably thought out.

Here's a link..

http://www.dobbertinhydrocar.com/Nova SS.htm

I saw that back in the day at the Indy world of wheels,it was nice but I would have liked it with a more streetable less gaudy engine

-
Back