Two electrical questions.

-

dillon14

Reaction score
Can anyone out there help me with these two questions.

I am restoring a 1968 Dodge Dart GTS 383, 4-speed car.

Question #1: I purchased the console tach that I needed as it was an option on my car. Can anyone tell me what/where each wirs goes?
1.jpg

Question #2: I need the engine and front lights electrical harness to connect to my original dash harness. I have seen an ad on eBay that states: 1968 or 1969 A-Body "B" Engine, Engine Wiring Harness with all connectors! This will work on a "B" engine only!

I have also seen in the catalogs the ad stating the Engine/Forward light harness for 1968 Valiant and Dart slant-6 models, and Dart 383 models.

As I need the light and engine harness for my 383 engine, I was hoping the combo one would work.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Al in Maine

Download a service manual, right here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

69 service manual:

http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc. car info/69 dodge service manual.pdf

(I think it shows up as "69 Dart/ Charger")

Wiring diagram index is page 8-96

8-99 is the Dart console wiring figure 6

That connector goes up to page 112, figure 18 On that figure, look at the lower right corner of the diagram, look for GROMMET

Look in that area and find the reference to tachometer

Note that the GREEN feeds through a separate grommet in the firewall out to the coil negative

VIOLET goes to switched power to the fuse box

ORANGE is the tach light

BLACK goes to ground back at the console someplace, just make sure it's well grounded

ALSO if you are running some ignition system BESIDES points or Mopar ECU, such as MSD, refer to your ignition manufacturer. That tach may or may not work with some other ignition systems, or may require a special hookup.

67Dart273,

Thanks for the help on the console tach hookup and the manual.

Does anyone have an answer to my 2nd question?

Question #2: I need the engine and front lights electrical harness to connect to my original dash harness. I have seen an ad on eBay that states: 1968 or 1969 A-Body "B" Engine, Engine Wiring Harness with all connectors! This will work on a "B" engine only!

I have also seen in the catalogs the ad stating the Engine/Forward light harness for 1968 Valiant and Dart slant-6 models, and Dart 383 models.

As I need the light and engine harness for my 383 engine, I was hoping the combo one would work.

Thanks again,
Al in Maine

I could pull the forward light harness from my 68 notch. It would include the side marker connections ,etc.
The engine harness for this 318 would be different in length from your 383 since the connections to the engine and accesories are in different locations.

Al
M & H Electric Fabricators makes a reproduction harness for your vehicle. They sell it through Year One for $170.00. They say that the engine/light harness is the same for slant 6 and 383. My assumption is that because the electrical components (Distributor, coil, alt, etc.) are located a similar distance from the bulk head connector that the harnesses are roughly the same. The 318/340 with the rear mounted distributor would use a different harness. I would call year one directly and talk to someone before ordering it.
~Michael

Dartman1969,

Thanks for the information. I will do that.

-
Back