Tying the rear frame rails together? Opinions please!!!

-

1972orangebeast

Reaction score
In the middle of my build, I am doing frame connectors us car tool ones, I'm going to tie the front frame rails together courtesy of Badart, what I was thinking or if anyone has tied the rear frame rails together? The more I look at full frames that they build for other cars you have front cross member, transmission cross, and rear cross making it a complete square. The more I think about it having a 3 sided "frame" would still twist easier than a full boxed in frame. So if we ran a connector across rear I would think that basically completes our full frame that's just attached to the car lol

I could just be talking non sense or something that just won't affect much performance but just trying to get some opinions
Thanks
Orangebeast

I considered that when I did mine with 2"x3" stuctural box steel with .080 walls.
The problem was that it looked like it couldn't be a straight shot from side to side without having to go over or under something.
I thought about a driveline loop to get from one side to the other also, but didn't do it because the connectors themselves made such a huge difference.

I couldn't bring myself to pay what they wanted for something that looked like it came out of a swingset kit so I made my own.

Just get some .083 local. Lay 2x3 sideways, get 2x2, get 2 round. No going through the floor; all hold up.

Yea I was doing research and yes not paying for a full frame and then have to modify a 10k frame to fit dart or pay twice that for frame that is fitted to the dart. I have a shell sitting in garage :) so want to get all the welding out of the way now before it's put back together. Was hoping someone has done this or may give further advice if it's worth the work, obviously more metal supports the more ridged it will become.

Is there much gain in "driveability" with rear frame connectors?

I am considering this also. I am thinking of adding one right above and behind the rear pinion snubber mount. It will clear everything and should add some stiffness. I had 40 feet of 14 guage steel bent to make 2 halves of a frame rail last year and was going to use some of it in the back. When it is all said and done I think my valiant will be 100 pounds heavier than stock, but all that weight will be down very low and the car will be very stiff.

Yes I was hoping someone would chime in that have tied them before, or thinks it really worth it or not. I figure it's same priciple of why we tie the front together. Also again look at a full frame chassis and look at the multiple cross members they have......

I would think it would help stiffen the rear up, triangulation is the name of the game. But it all should be tied to a good roll cage.

I plan on puting a 2x3" between my rear frame rails, if thats what you mean. I was looking to weld it in behind the rear tire well, pretty much against the factor piece before the valance. I am even thinking about puting one above the rear axle and tieing my shocks into those, kind of like what blue missile did on his duster.

Frame connectors should be more than enough for any street car(they really help).If you need more,then a cage will help.JMO:D

Any structure you add to the car will help. It isn't just about about handling and preventing twist on acceleration. It will also increase your odds in the event of a wreck. I don't want to install a cage in a driver, but I want to have a better chance in case someone decides to impale their car onto mine. It seems to me that there isn't much structure preventing the rails from moving inward due to a hit anywhere on the side. I realize the doors and the b-pillar will fold quickly, but more bracing might be the difference between life and death.

I did this myself with 12 guage, it took some time cutting but it came out well.
attachment.php

I decided to make a 70 vert so I cut those out and used 2 x 3 - 3/16 tubing. Click on my link below and it will take you to my build.

Attachments

• 100_1351.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 237
  • 100_1352.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 240
-
Back