Type F fluid in 727

-
On a side note, the Ford C4 (very similiar in design to a 904) and the C6 (very similiar in design to a 727) are all Simpson designed gearset transmissions.

Little off subject,but I just replaced the fluid in my 4 spd car.Belive I had regular 90wt gear oil in it. The factory service manual says to use ATF. For the 833 a GL-4 oil is also needed for the soft (brass) syncros. GL-4 is becoming very hard to find. Ended up going with Red-Line MT-90 GL-4 transmission fluid,and boy am I glad I did. Feels like a brand new trans. Smooth shifting,no grinding, awsomeness !!!!

So, I am a firm believer in Red-Line oil. Look into it.

One of my friends has a ford festiva that uses atf in a manual trans, I thought that was very bizarre. I never would have imagined my 4 speed would be the same. I still have 80 wt in mine but I've been planing on trying the atf thing. What kind of atf are you running? Do you notice it running any different when its cold/hot outside?

One of my friends has a ford festiva that uses atf in a manual trans, I thought that was very bizarre. I never would have imagined my 4 speed would be the same. I still have 80 wt in mine but I've been planing on trying the atf thing. What kind of atf are you running? Do you notice it running any different when its cold/hot outside?

Not to hijack,but since we are talking about fluids:

I dont run ATF. To me thats old technology. Having said that there are many who run atf in there 833's, and are happy with it.

I use Red-Line MT-90. It is a GL-4 oil, specificaly designed for 4spd trans with soft metals (brass syncros) like the 833. The trans now shifts 100% better. Its like I just installed a brand new trans. I'm sold on it.

The key for our old manual trans is GL-4 oil.
All the shelfs now have GL-5.......No good.
Must be GL-4.

Toyota has run ATF in their manuals for a long time....to make the tangent longer. LOL

When I changed the clutch in my grandpa's 65 dodge, 3-speed manual many years ago, I was really suprised that the fluid in it was red.
This was a factory un-touched one owner car that he bought new.

-
Back