Type F or Dexron, why do some HP guys dislike type F

-
:toothy10: ya peta and the aspca dont have a very good sense of humor, im glad i do dark one but a good one

dex is slipperier, type f is stickyer more friction modifyers, in the old days the clutch mat was different between ford and gm/mopar. shift kits recomended type f in mopars and gms.. now it isnt needed dex will be fine in your HP trans.. I have used both in my trans.. and really didnt notice a difference.. use what you builder or what your rebuild kit recomends.. if you already have type F i your car dont worry bout it, just drive it..

I run ATF+4 in everything now. As was said.. Type F had a friction modifier that the Dextron did not and that was why it shifter more harshly in Torquefiltes and FMC trannys. The B&M Trick Shift was basically a dyed Type F. Also initially Type F was green IIRC. The ATF+ fluids from Mopar are a Dextron type fluid, but they have additives that allow for less heat retention, which is why I run them. This was for the OD trannys and later FWD transaxles that were running hotter with more slippery convertors and 4cyls. It comes down to your tranny's assembly really. If you've upgraded the frictions, any fluid is fine. The seals don't know or care until it overheats. If the pressures and fluid control is right, the fluid won't hurt anything by changing. If they are on the tighter side and you are on the edge of too much overlap, changing fluids to something that allows for less slippage during engagement will cause problems.

-
Back