Type F or Dexron, why do some HP guys dislike type F

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
My tranny was rebuilt with hd and some racing clutches and bands, yet my trans guy says to use Dextron, why. Oh it chirps the tires ok, just wondering..any harm in ever using type F..besides hard shifts

been using type f in both 904s used for racing ...in fact i buy it from wally world.

My tranny was rebuilt with hd and some racing clutches and bands, yet my trans guy says to use Dextron, why. Oh it chirps the tires ok, just wondering..any harm in ever using type F..besides hard shifts

the type F is more an old school thing. not needed with the moden materials. i hear its hard on the steels too..

I run the dextron in mine it was recommended by the builder and 1 year later still chirping the tires fine.

been using type f in both 904s used for racing ...in fact i buy it from wally world.

and the builder recommend type F also...LOL

I am the builder...not chirping tires since they have slicks on...

Type F is all I've ever run in mine....and I build them. Never had a problem.

What I am getting at is why? I'm old school and recall when like everybody used type F for hd use, this was before lock up converters

type F has like an abrasiveness to it that dextron doesn't. the abrasiveness was supposed to kinda grip the clutches and all better. the clutch materials has come a long way in 40 years. in my opinion there is no reason to run the type F anymore. type f is not gonna blow up your trans or anything but it is hard on the steels from what i understand. been beating the hell out of my dextron filled trans since 05 or 06 on the track and the street. shifts as good today as the day i put it in...

I wish I was closer to your trans guy, lol.

Mines ok but like he rebuilt it last fall, got like 2,000 miles max and it gets morning sickness, lol. Running it a few mins and stopping it dis engage like, need to rev the motor up and it catches. Once hot is great, tranny guy says its the front clutch going or in the valve body, its manual. Bring the car on by and leave it overnight, hes 45 mins away, I'm thinking of just yanking the trans out at home and bring it on up. Says manual bodies on the street is hard on the trans, ??

As stated, there is no reason to use type F anymore. The friction materials are designed to be used with Dexron III.

We use dex III (napa part number 75-200), in most street strip builds with great success. Our 1000hp+ transmissions use Hy-Gard from John Deere.

Ran dextron in my BB 727 / 383 daily driver for 4 years, it was OK.

Changed to Type F a year and a half ago.

Tranny Shifts harder with Type F than Dextron when pressed ( @ WOT and/or when manually shifted thru the gears) - otherwise, regular / sedate street driving shifts are smooth as silk.

--

..............Old school guys did use type F 4 better/faster shifts.............the abrasiveness in the type F wears the seals alot faster, but u dont make many miles raceing........................kim..............

Was running type F in the 904 for racing,just lastweek I had swapped internals to a new case(old one cracked)my builder said the type F is hard on seals and bearings,so now use Dextron III.

I've heard all that too...but it's kinda funny, the seals clutches and bearings from a dextron trans to a type F one are all made outta the same stuff. I ain't buyin it. I mean even Ford uses Dextron now. I've used dextron in older fords, type F in GM and chryslers, even mixed the two together when I absolutely had to. I've never seen a problem caused by the "wrong" fluid. the most important thing is that it HAS fluid, it's full and it's kept cool. end of story. I don't give a rat's butt what some "experts" say. that's what my experiencs says. so I'm stickin with it.

Not directly related to this topic but an interesting observation about ATF.

My 89 Dakota with an A500 (OD version of a 904) recomended Chrsyler ATF+ or Dextron . I had a case of Dextron kicking around and the Dakota was due for a fluid and filter change so I used it. The very first time after leaving the driveway that the torque converter locked up it shuddered like crazy. Drove it around a bit to see if it worked it self out but didn't. Drove back home drained the Dextron and refilled with ATF+ and never experienced a shudder again.

mopar recommends all trans with lock up converters and overdrive to use ATF 4...

it was developed for those trans to stop the shuddering..

Been using type-f for several years,in a street/strip car shifts just fine...

I have been using Type F for some time now. A comment on 904's being weaker and less reliable at least in my case is totally wrong! I rebuilt mine in 2000 and was driven daily for two years and then been driven like hell (not daily) the last 8 years and I still have had no problems! That was the first tranny that I ever did!

ive ran type f in my 95 half ton 2wd truck for oh 120k+ miles now... no slipping no leaking no funny smells, unless you count the fomoco friction modifier i dumped in too. other than that i use whatever i have at my dispose. yeah when i rebuild my trans i get new steels so i really dont care how much they get worn.

-
Back