U-bolts for 8.75 Swap

-

Saetun

Sinister Swinger
Reaction score
Getting damned close to pulling the old 7.25 & sliding in the 8.75 rear. I have the correct shock plates but need to make sure the U-bolts I get are correct. Looks like the housing has 3" shafts so are the correct U-bolts 1/2" x 3.25" x 7.5"

Summit lists these (And of course I just ordered a ton of parts & forgot to include the U-bolts)

http://summitracing.com/parts/exp-13-90061/media/images

You should be able to buy U bolts locally for just about what Summit has them listed for. I did when I put my 8 3/4 in. , I believe the axle tube is 3".

In all reality a grade 8 material is better. There is a shop near me that will make them for me for 10 bucks apiece.

I found the U bolts on ebay for 35.00 I dont know what Summit gets for them.

Bad Sport ,nailed it. The local spring shop,in the neighborhood,can do all 4 in 30 minutes, maybe an hour.Take one of the old ones in,and explain. Beats shipping charges, and waiting.

Try your local parts house. I know the NAPA store here has them.

I Dont Have A sample Unfortunately. Im going To Try The Local Spring Shop Idea Here but I Need To Confirm The Size.

You need measurement? Holler,I will crawl,give you some when needed.

Take your plates and have them made up at a local spring shop with nuts and washers. The quality is better and they will know what you need.

well lets see... 1/2 diameter round stock is correct. 3.25 between the legs gets them over a 3 inch tube. The only variable is length. If you have simple shock plates, springs, perches, approx 7.5 inches would work. If you have those later model perches with isolators or anything other than stock you may need a longer U bolt.
Hope this helps

I had mine made at the local big rig repair facility when I swapped leaf springs on my 7 1/4"...I think it took them about 30 mins and only ran about $36 for all four with hardware. I'm sure they could've done the same thing with the 8 3/4", but I bought those off eBay since I had to buy some other crap at the same time. I want to say they measure them by ID, which you already know is 3"; and like rest of the folks on here say, length will depend on what all else/if anything you have attached.

I would also say try out a local trailer repair place...sometimes they have them on the shelf.

I'm just wondering, ya know how factory U-bolts have a 'flat' on them where they sit on top of the axle, can spring shops incorporate this into the U-bolt as well? I'm sure it really doesn't matter..

-
Back