U.S. postal box

-

plugger340

Reaction score
I want to ship some parts from the states but the brokerage fees are outrageous. Unfortunately I'm light on U.S. relatives that live close by that I could have things shipped to. I've thought about getting a U.S. postal box (someplace close like Sweetgrass or Shelby Montana) so I can get smaller things shipped there and then hop across the border to pick them up to save on shipping costs. Are U.S. postal offices pretty good at holdings things for a while (ie. one or two weeks)? Or does anyone know of a Shelby shipping company that I could ship things to for pick-up for a reasonable fee?

:wav::wav:

I would say get in touch with demonseed by pm. He is in the okatoks (sp?) area and is back and forth across the border a fair amount. He may know of a business that you can have parts shipped to.

Jack

Sorry to hijack, but I am thinking about doing the same thing. I will pm demonseed, but figured I would put it out there as I am in Ontario and I could either cross in Niagara Falls which is west of me or Kingston Ontario which is east. I thought i would set it up and "share" with some other members to help save the brokerage fees and go down once a month or so.

Is there any parcel places along the border. Here at the Emerson, Manitoba, North Dakota
border there have been a few businesses set up just to handle the shipping of parcels. We simply drive the hour , cross the border and there are 3-4 parcel places just set up for parcels, tires, rims and 2 for real big items. Couple of them operate right out of thier garages. They do a real volume. Most charge $5 per box. Compare that to $100.00 or more for brokage fees on small items.

Chech south there may be some set up there.

. . . . . Are U.S. postal offices pretty good at holdings things for a while (ie. one or two weeks)?

I just checked with my local PO and the policy is the PO will normally hold
any size package for a PO box for at least 30 days. Hope this helps.

Is there any parcel places along the border. Here at the Emerson, Manitoba, North Dakota
border there have been a few businesses set up just to handle the shipping of parcels. We simply drive the hour , cross the border and there are 3-4 parcel places just set up for parcels, tires, rims and 2 for real big items. Couple of them operate right out of thier garages. They do a real volume. Most charge $5 per box. Compare that to $100.00 or more for brokage fees on small items.

Chech south there may be some set up there.

That's what I have a lot of businesses and sellers will not ship to a PO box.

I want to ship some parts from the states but the brokerage fees are outrageous. Unfortunately I'm light on U.S. relatives that live close by that I could have things shipped to. I've thought about getting a U.S. postal box (someplace close like Sweetgrass or Shelby Montana) so I can get smaller things shipped there and then hop across the border to pick them up to save on shipping costs. Are U.S. postal offices pretty good at holdings things for a while (ie. one or two weeks)? Or does anyone know of a Shelby shipping company that I could ship things to for pick-up for a reasonable fee?

There's a company called "Kinek" They are a place you get your US purchases sent to, they can hold it for up to 30 days(maybe longer) for a reasonable fee. You then drive down, collect your packages, and bring them back with you. Here's a link to their site. Check to see if there's a "Kinek Point" office near you...

https://www.kinek.com/kpointC/Home.action

Retired from the PO. Never in the retail end of it, but from what I remember in order to get a po box you need to be a resident in the state you are trying to get a po box in. No proof of residency, no PO box. I do not live in MT, but west of Spokane. If I can be of any assistance in shipping, let me know.

I live in Cranbrook BC and use Montana Shipping Outlet in Eureka Montana. They also have a outlet in Sweetgrass.Do a search for Montana Shipping Outlet and you will find their site . Our car club (Rockin in The Rockies ) all use these people and find the service good and not to expensive.

There is a place in sweetgrass, a guy i work with just had a bunch of engine parts shipped there and he drove down and picked them up. I will try and get the name tomorrow. He was very happy with the service

I used Danny at the Glocamorra Inn for a whole car for 3 months..........paperwork snafu.
Daryl

-
Back