UCA bolts need help

-

tkowalchuk

70 Duster with a 440
Reaction score
Anyone have some tricks to get upper control arm bolts out? I need the arm out to replace the bushings but I'm having a difficult time removing the bolts

Any help is appreciated

Anyone have some tricks to get upper control arm bolts out? I need the arm out to replace the bushings but I'm having a difficult time removing the bolts

Any help is appreciated
Well you might try using a torch to melt out the bushing. But even that may not work. I ended up having to cut mine. You can get new ones.

I have new ones that I'm going to be putting in. I tried an isolating saw but I burnt thru 2 blades on the first bolts. I'll try a sawsal. It's just a shitty spot to work on.

I have new ones that I'm going to be putting in. I tried an isolating saw but I burnt thru 2 blades on the first bolts. I'll try a sawsal. It's just a shitty spot to work on.
Yeah, they are a hardened bolt. Your best bet is a torch.

Well you might try using a torch to melt out the bushing. But even that may not work. I ended up having to cut mine. You can get new ones.

The new bolts are shaved all along the full length and are highly suspect, I would use some OE replacements!!

The cutting torch works but... Most of us are working on jack stands. The bushings will burn, filling a wheel well with choking black smoke. It gets very difficult to see what you are cutting.
I had to cut away all 4 ends ( 8 total ). Didn't take long to see my need for a fan. The eccentric washer helps to prevent cutting into the frame clips. For me this was 1 at a time process. Cut away a bolt head, chisel and hammer to get that eccentric washer or remnants of it off. Move to the next. I still had to fight the bolt ends with a pry bar to get the arm out of those clips. Good luck with it.

The cutting torch works but... Most of us are working on jack stands. The bushings will burn, filling a wheel well with choking black smoke. It gets very difficult to see what you are cutting.
I had to cut away all 4 ends ( 8 total ). Didn't take long to see my need for a fan. The eccentric washer helps to prevent cutting into the frame clips. For me this was 1 at a time process. Cut away a bolt head, chisel and hammer to get that eccentric washer or remnants of it off. Move to the next. I still had to fight the bolt ends with a pry bar to get the arm out of those clips. Good luck with it.
yep, same problem, all 8. I just had a hose ready and as soon as the bolt head was off, i sprayed the bushing with water. plus it helps having a good fan and air movement for sure.

I didn't have access to a torch so I used a bunch of small diameter cut off wheels on a 90 degree die grinder. I couldn't cut them right through but got through far enough so they would twist off. It was not fun though!

Cley

Got all 4 bolts out. Now to do the bushings. I got 1/4 out so far. I ordered the tool set from Mancini I'll let you guys know how it works. Once I'm at work with a good vice

-
Back