UCA Problem!

-

danielb927

Reaction score
Trying to re-install my upper control arms right now. I had the new bushings pressed in at a shop but they left the little metal things ("ferrules?" in the instructions) out. I did my best pressing those in, but with them in, I can't get the control arm to seat in the frame. The front and back fit on their own, but overall it's about 1 washer-length too long to fit. The UCA fits fine without these metal things. Do I even need to use them? If so, how do I press them in farther or is there a trick to getting them in and the UCA in the frame that I'm missing?

Here's what I'm talking about, the right side has them in and the left side doesn't:

p1020799l.jpg

I just checked the other side and it's even farther from fitting. Probably a quarter inch too much space between the two bushings. My first guess would be that the bushings aren't pushed in far enough, but they're pushed in up to the metal ring and can't go any farther... I think you can see in this picture what the gap is I'm talking about.

p1020800q.jpg

where did you get your UCA bushings at? what brand are they? the top pic on the right UCA, the rubber bushing almost looks, smashed, if you will...when installing them did the man using the press apply some lube on the outer metal part of the bushing, and inside of the control arm? that usually allows them to press in much easier...

It doesn't look smashed to me, might just be a weird angle on the picture. These are the Moog offset bushings, got them from RockAuto. It does appear the machine shop I took them to used some lubricant on the bushings when they pressed them in, and as I said I don't think they could go in any farther than they are in terms of where that outer ring sits.

I don't suppose you have one of the old ones bushings that was removed so that you could compare length?
comparing the UCA's end to end, do the arms have the same spacing between them?
I put the regular bushings on mine, and IIRC, there may have been a small flare, and it kept the outside of the bushing out maybe a 1/2" or so. I will see if I don't have a pic around here.
C

I don't have an old bushing to compare to unfortunately but these did have a flare on them to keep the bushing out, and 1/2" seems to be about what's left over.

wish i could help...im stumped....those ferrules on the end, just don't look right...or at least don't look like the ones i have normally seen...but those are the offset ones, vie never worked with those, so i don't know...

I just replaced my upper arms and they where spread apart as well. I used a large metal clamp the squeeze the arms together and when the distance was correct slid them into place.

Thanks Mike, I will see if I can get my hands on a big clamp and use that. Wasn't sure the arms would be flexible enough for that but sounds like a good idea.

are the "washers" installed all the way?

i had that happen when i did my first set of those

bottomed out the bushing into the control arm and then had to use a vice to get the washers all the way in...

Have you tried the bolts in with those ferrelles installed ? You may not need them.

Those "washers" on the ends of those upper control arms just aren't right for stock, factory, rubber replacement, bushings.
I think those washers are needed for "POLY" bushings, but i haven't had to replace bushings with poly ones, in probably 20 years, so my old memory is probably shot to hell.
I think those washers were put in your box of parts in error.
If you are replacing bushings with a quality, well known national part, Moog, NAPA, Car Quest, something of that nature, you should be good to go right out of the box.
These bushings in the pictured UCA's were recently done, with MOOG parts, and no extra washers are needed.
Good luck.
Jim V.

Attachments

• UCA's & Sway Bar 003 [640x480].jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 234
I know normally Moog bushings come with metal end-caps already on so washers aren't needed. With the offset ones the ends are just open rubber so you can see the direction of the offset when pressing the bushings in, and they leave the end-cap washers separate. The image on rockauto when I ordered had these washers so I know they're supposed to be there.

The fit seems a little sloppy without them redfish. With those washers in and pressed in well, each individual bushing seats nice and snug into the frame, it's just the spacing between the front and back bushings is a bit off. If I leave the washers out there is definitely a bit of front-to-back play of the control arm.

Sounds like the arms may have gotton sprung out a little, probably when the old ones were pressed out. As mentioned earlier, try and pull them in with a large clamp. I think you will be fine once they are in place and bolted up.
C

What some are calling washers are ferrelles with a neck on them that will change the inside diameter where the bolt goes through. I dont know why Moog supplies them with these offset bushings. My best guess is so the one bushing will work for multiple applications, i.e. vehicles with different diameter bolts.

The fit seems a little sloppy without them redfish. With those washers in and pressed in well, each individual bushing seats nice and snug into the frame, it's just the spacing between the front and back bushings is a bit off. If I leave the washers out there is definitely a bit of front-to-back play of the control arm.

There should be no slop, no movement.

Clamps (and a rubber mallet) did the trick! Passengers side needed more clamping and is definitely a little stiffer in there but when there's a quarter of a car sitting on there I don't think it'll make much difference, just makes it a little tougher to get the alignment roughly right.

p1020804x.jpg

p1020805r.jpg

There should be no slop, no movement.

I agree with mikes270Dart It looks like the arms are spread out some and need to be pulled in. Those "washers" should be used

Okay...I have the same set of bushings...with just suspension control arms...I have not installed yet...but know they fit tight with extra wahser on...and way too loose without...will keep them installed when I get back home and get the rest of my components...

-
Back