ultrasonic cleaner solution

-

rbkt65

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
tired of trying to clean bolts and stuff with solvent so i bought a vevor 15L ultrasonic cleaner on sale for 169 shipped. 1 yr warr. looked on you tube for what solution to use but am more confused now. also see where some guys put the nuts/bolts in a glass jar/plastic container to save contaminating the solution. if you just use water and ???, what difference would it make for contamination? what do you add to your water to help cleaning if you don't use a container? i see everything from distilled water, water/vinegar mix, water /dawn soap. it is confusing to me. any help/ideas are greatly appreciated. tia.

I'm curious too. I've tried a smaller UC with less than stellar results, no matter what solution...water with Dawn, Mr Clean...

Nuts & Bolts need to degrease first, blow dry, then put them in a tub of vinegar overnight, then rinse clean with distilled water, blow dry. If you want them to look real nice, polish them up with a soft wire wheel in your drill press.

Distilled Water and Pine-Sol is what I use in the Ultrasonic Cleaner. Mostly used for cleaning carb bodies. Need to be careful with aluminum with the mix being too strong or leaving them in too long, it will turn the aluminum dark gray.

Screenshot_20210416-214121_Gallery.jpg

You tell me when you find something that works. I've got one big enough to hold a holley dominator and have tried everything in it under the sun and that POS won't clean chit.

You tell me when you find something that works. I've got one big enough to hold a holley dominator and have tried everything in it under the sun and that POS won't clean chit.
Make a 3" x 3" box out of aluminum foil and put it in your Ultrasonic Cleaner, run it for 1/2 hour with distilled water.

If your cleaner is working correctly the tin foil will look like you shot it with buckshot.

If the tin foil is untouched, unfold it and use to cover your grille rack and bar-b-que some hot dogs.

Make a 3" x 3" box out of aluminum foil and put it in your Ultrasonic Cleaner, run it for 1/2 hour with distilled water.

If your cleaner is working correctly the tin foil will look like you shot it with buckshot.

If the tin foil is untouched, unfold it and use to cover your grille rack and bar-b-que some hot dogs.
Done dood it. It eats the tin foil all to hell and back.

Done dood it. It eats the tin foil all to hell and back.
OK
That's good.

Mix:
2 gallons distilled water with a cup of Pine-Sol.

Parts must be decreased and dry before you put them in.

Throw in a few mopar rocker arms, preheat the distlled water mix to 150°, then turn on the Ultrasonic Cleaner, throw in the rocker arms for a half hour and watch them get clean.

Rinse with distilled water and polish up with a shop rag.

Brand New

Screenshot_20221013-005622_Gallery.jpg

I have a small ultrasonic cleaner from HF. I have found that it doesn't work Magix but it does speed up my rate of cleaning. I can put parts in vinegar/gasoline/diesel in a container for 10-12 hours, or achieve similar results in about 2-4 hours in the ultrasonic cleaner. I have little cake tins that fit perfectly inside the ultrasonic cleaner tray so that I can just clean those rather than the whole unit itself (so much easier this way) I usually run just enough water to get about 1/2 of the way up the tray.
I have used it to degrease(gasoline) or to clean and unfreeze rusty bolts (diesel or white vinegar) for vintage bicycle parts, basic automotive hardware, and old small tools like files thay I have gotten at garage sales but not done much carb stuff in it yet because I doubt it's big enough to fit the whole carb I'm.
I tried using glass jars but I wasn't a fan because I found its better to spread everything apart flat along the bottom of the tray.

OK
That's good.

Mix:
2 gallons distilled water with a cup of Pine-Sol.

Parts must be decreased and dry before you put them in.

Throw in a few mopar rocker arms, preheat the distlled water to 150°, then throw in the rocker arms for a half hour and watch them get clean.

Rinse with distilled water and polish up with a shop rag.

Brand New

View attachment 1715997401
Well we're busted til the end of the month, but I'll try it first week in November. Thanks. I hope it works. If it doesn't work after this try, I'm chunkin it.

Well we're busted til the end of the month, but I'll try it first week in November. Thanks. I hope it works. If it doesn't work after this try, I'm chunkin it.
Yeah Busted
With the rising costs of goods, services, gas and electric.

Trying to be retired don't leave much left for extra activities.

Rising costs completely across the board, all coming at the same time.

_______

Seems to me even Distilled Water In the grocery store was in short supply (out) last time I looked. Price of that is even going up too.

Crazy

Yeah Busted
With the rising costs of goods, services, gas and electric.

Trying to be retired don't leave much left for extra activities.

Rising costs completely across the board, all coming at the same time.
It's a little worse every month.

Ultrasonic cleaners often work best if the items are isolated from the housing.
Some cleaners shake (excite) the part, others excite the fluid. I think most table top units excite the fluid. If you put a heavy part in, it overloads the exciter and nothing gets to the ultra part of the ultrasonic. Usually there's a plastic basket or similar what rests on the rim of the machine so that the part is isolated from the bucket. You could also hang the part from a wire or string - but it needs to be thick enough that it doesn't erode away while the part is in there!

We used deionized water in our US cleaners in our deburr dept. Only used chemicals if we needed to degrease at the same time, but that stuff was super expensive, so usually it was just water. Other solvents and cleaners can work, but the water typically does most of the heavy lifting. The chemicals tend to work at the same speed, but slightly enhanced because the water is zapping off the dirt and other gunk which often shields the base material, or the chemical strips the oil/gunk what would typically shield the base material from the water..

Basically, don't go overboard with chemicals because a litte but will go farther in the US.

I agree any success I've had with mine is when the parts are only touching the solution. I made a "basket" out of small holed chicken wire and suspended it.

-
Back