Unappreciated rock bands...

-
I should have clarified on that, it didn't last long beyond his passing. If memory serves me correctly, Dead Winter Dead was comprised of some earlier material, which resulted in the record company demanding a "Christmas Album" (mostly because of Christmas Eve Sarajevo, which Criss played lead on) Savatage wouldn't agree under their current name and it led to the birth of TSO while Savatage was still in full swing.

Didn't Jon also leave sometime around Dead Winter Dead to pursue his own solo deal as Jon Oliva's Pain?

I could be wrong on all this, so correct me if I am. I wasn't calling you out or anything man, seriously, if I'm wrong let me know.
I didn't think you were .
I just thought you were misinformed .
The last one that I have came out
In 2001 and I believe there could be more ?
Al pitrelli also played guitar with them .

I didn't think you were .
I just thought you were misinformed .
The last one that I have came out
In 2001 and I believe there could be more ?
Al pitrelli also played guitar with them .

So it did continue after Criss died and Jon left? I didn't realize that.

How about
Badlands
Jake E Lee is underrated !!
Ray Gillen was a great singer !!
Too bad he died in 93 !!

How about
Badlands
Jake E Lee is underrated !!
Ray Gillen was a great singer !!
Too bad he died in 93 !!

Nice one. Saw Jake E Lee perform a few years back at M3 with Red Dragon Cartel, got to hang out with him and chat over a beer or two after his set, shortly before Queensryche took the stage (the other stage)

So it did continue after Criss died and Jon left? I didn't realize that.
Jon left before Chris died .
In my opinion the last album Chris did edge of thorns was some of best work !!
That was with Zachary Stevens on vocals he continued on a few more lp's then Jon helped with at least one and did the last one I have in 2001 .
I'm not sure after that ?
But basically savatage was turned into transiberian orchestra .

Here's one a little out of ordinary. Everyone knows of Pink Floyd (or at least, heard the name in passing). How many knew of David Gilmour's solo career? Before Roger Waters left Pink Floyd and Gilmour became the frontman.

In my opinion the man is an absolute genius when it comes to the guitar (I view Ritchie Blackmore and Tony Iommi the same way), he may not play screaming solos, but what he offers is extremely powerful nonetheless.

Even more obscure? How about a band that never made it past the Demo Tape phase, rejected by record companies. A few years back I stumbled across this one, and later tracked down one of the original Demo Tapes online and added it to my collection of music.

Almost as obscure, a song by Tattoo Rodeo that only ever played in a movie, wasn't on the Soundtrack and wasn't on any albums. The movie itself was a pretty crappy B rated cheesy action movie that had an all-over-the-place plot, but I managed to track down an original copy for a friend who collects music like I do.

Ok - this one is a stretch, but the made up band, Steel Dragon, from the not-a-particularly-great-movie "Rock Star" was actually pretty killer - listen to the sound track.
The actual performers are Zakk Wylde (guitarist for Ozzy, Black Label Society) , Jeff Pilson (Bassist for Dokken) Jason Bonham (drummer, son of John Bonham of Zeppelin), and Mike Matijevic (Steelheart)

This is video is a 'live' version with an extra singer, but this version os "Stand UP and Shout" still rocks pretty hard:

And, since I brought up underappreciated ficititious bands...I have to include Spinal Tap - the original band to go to eleven...here with "Hell Hole"

Here's one a little out of ordinary. Everyone knows of Pink Floyd (or at least, heard the name in passing). How many knew of David Gilmour's solo career? Before Roger Waters left Pink Floyd and Gilmour became the frontman.

In my opinion the man is an absolute genius when it comes to the guitar (I view Ritchie Blackmore and Tony Iommi the same way), he may not play screaming solos, but what he offers is extremely powerful nonetheless.

No offense dude, but almost everyone alive over 35, we are talking rock bands here. Pink Floyd in passing? WHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaT?! This thread has already went off
the rails and taken a dirt road. Un(der)appreciated rock bands, but by whom? Good lord!! I've seen RUSH, SRV, etc. in this thread already, these guys are/were appreciated
by millions of fans world wide, including Floyd, and were still performing live-sold out shows just a few years ago!SRV has been on the cover of so many guitar rags & tributed
so many times, the only people who didn't appreciate Him were people who didn't know blues rock or He even existed! I think the Uriah Heep reference is more on par with
the intent of this thread, the band I posted had excellent players, some Frank Zappa alumni, and were doing cutting edge things at the time. They did have a bunch of hits at
the time, some are still getting regular airplay(Words,Window,Walkin' in LA,Destination Unknown), but never really got the long term cred for their talents.

No offense dude, but almost everyone alive over 35, we are talking rock bands here. Pink Floyd in passing? WHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaT?! This thread has already went off
the rails and taken a dirt road. Un(der)appreciated rock bands, but by whom? Good lord!! I've seen RUSH, SRV, etc. in this thread already, these guys are/were appreciated
by millions of fans world wide, including Floyd, and were still performing live-sold out shows just a few years ago!SRV has been on the cover of so many guitar rags & tributed
so many times, the only people who didn't appreciate Him were people who didn't know blues rock or He even existed! I think the Uriah Heep reference is more on par with
the intent of this thread, the band I posted had excellent players, some Frank Zappa alumni, and were doing cutting edge things at the time. They did have a bunch of hits at
the time, some are still getting regular airplay(Words,Window,Walkin' in LA,Destination Unknown), but never really got the long term cred for their talents.

True, and how many are on the other side of 35 too? You know, the ones who think Classic Rock is from the late 90's/early 2000's. I even know of a few people nearing the 35 mark or over it that have never heard of Blue Oyster Cult or Led Zeppelin.

I do agree that some of it is pretty mainstream stuff, even to this day. Figured a bit of Gilmour's early solo career would be a bit of an unexpected addition, since even most Floyd fans aren't aware of it.

Even more obscure? How about a band that never made it past the Demo Tape phase, rejected by record companies. A few years back I stumbled across this one, and later tracked down one of the original Demo Tapes online and added it to my collection of music.

Almost as obscure, a song by Tattoo Rodeo that only ever played in a movie, wasn't on the Soundtrack and wasn't on any albums. The movie itself was a pretty crappy B rated cheesy action movie that had an all-over-the-place plot, but I managed to track down an original copy for a friend who collects music like I do.

Not bad, at all.. Reminds me of Dokken,
Ok - this one is a stretch, but the made up band, Steel Dragon, from the not-a-particularly-great-movie "Rock Star" was actually pretty killer - listen to the sound track.
The actual performers are Zakk Wylde (guitarist for Ozzy, Black Label Society) , Jeff Pilson (Bassist for Dokken) Jason Bonham (drummer, son of John Bonham of Zeppelin), and Mike Matijevic (Steelheart)

This is video is a 'live' version with an extra singer, but this version os "Stand UP and Shout" still rocks pretty hard:

And, since I brought up underappreciated ficititious bands...I have to include Spinal Tap - the original band to go to eleven...here with "Hell Hole"

Interesting choices,and quite nice Had Steelheart's first album..it's actually pretty good... Spinal Tap on Saturday Night Live, is really good ....(Big Bottom ,with everyone playing bass....).

Lots of bands in this post I like. To the original OP, Triumph King Biscuit Flower Hour, they played their asses off, great album.

Too funny Slade !!
The first record I ever had !!!
Goodbye to Jane !!!
Love that song !!

Mott never really it it big time here even with the Bowie song.
Yes. Slade.
With my caveat from post 99.
Number 2 in the UK.
Only number 68 in the US.

I mean really?

Chart (1972) Peak
position
Total
weeks

Australian ARIA Singles Chart[21] 11 13
Austrian Singles Chart[22] 7 12
Belgian Singles Chart[23][24] 5 12
Canadian Singles Chart[25] 72 3
Dutch Singles Chart[26] 4 9
French Singles Chart[27] 8 18
German Singles Chart[28] 3 17
Irish Singles Chart[29] 2 10
Japanese Singles Chart[citation needed] 89 4
New Zealand Singles Chart[citation needed] 12
Norwegian Singles Chart[30] 7 1
Swiss Singles Chart[31] 4 11
UK Singles Chart[1] 2 13
U.S. Billboard Hot 100[32] 68 6
Personnel[edit]

April Wine

Shooting Star

Triumph

Shooting Star, HELL YA!!! Here's mine!

IMG_1521.JPG

I don't think this band has been mentioned yet but this whole album kicked *** back in the day and I still enjoy it.
That song (The singer in particular) by Tattoo Rodeo that @74Dusted posted reminded me a lot of this band, GIANT...
There's some really killer guitar work here.

And here's another band that comes to mind:

Tora Tora - Nowhere to go but down

About 38 minutes into that album.

That is one of my favorites.

Tonic
That's another under appreciated
band right there !!!
Seen them 3 times first time 97 I think ?
It was kisw rising stars show
Tickets were 9.99 !
Great band

-
Back