under hood ductwork for twin or big single hood scoop

-

McMoparJr

Reaction score
I’m working if anyone has photos of the under hood ductwork for the demon Style twin hood scoops or the Dart super stock style big single or if anyone knows if someone is selling the ductwork as a kit not sure which style I’m going with yet because I need to do some research into options and availability first

is there duct work ? I had always thought A body was just fresh air openings in the hood, B body had the duct work... I may be incorrect on that though.

is there duct work ? I had always thought A body was just fresh air openings in the hood, B body had the duct work... I may be incorrect on that though.
As far as I know, that is correct. Just openings in the hood with large rubber grommets in the holes to keep water from sheeting in on the engine. I've always wondered if any assembles ever existed or if anyone had ever adapted the ones from the other platforms.

DMT sells the "seals"
DART_SCOOP_2000__02326.jpg

Correct above. No ductwork for A bodies, just those rubber grommets. Another member here made his own, I don't remember who, but saved the pic. Seems like it would work and seems to be Buick/Olds/Pontiac inspired???

1677181411774.png

Last edited:
I posted the system I made on this forum. Maybe it would work for you. You may find it by searching for
‘Functional twin hood scoops’. If not, post again and I will look for it if you are interested.
Yote

I went with the snorkel scoop cuz I like the look and then cut out the center like so. The plan is to use the later B body N96 air cleaner with some sort of outer seal.

1677182093919.jpeg

1677182172799.jpeg

1677182261774.jpeg

I posted the system I made on this forum. Maybe it would work for you. You may find it by searching for
‘Functional twin hood scoops’. If not, post again and I will look for it if you are interested.
Yote
I found your post thanks

Yote
Functional twin hood scoops
In case someone wants to refer to it.
There was also a member who adapted the B body underhood ductwork, but I'll be darned if I can find the thread or pics now...

Great post! I just ordered a 4.125" hole saw and the 2 seals from DMT to make my scoops "make sense".

Great post! I just ordered a 4.125" hole saw and the 2 seals from DMT to make my scoops "make sense".
Before you make the holes be sure up measure your seals !!!! 4.125” was TOO LARGE for the seals I got from DMT. I then had to figure out how to expand my seals so they wouldn’t loosely rattle around. Good luck .
Yote

Same here, I slit some small rubber tubing put it on the edge of the holes and then put the seals on, worked perfect.

Before you make the holes be sure up measure your seals !!!! 4.125” was TOO LARGE for the seals I got from DMT. I then had to figure out how to expand my seals so they wouldn’t loosely rattle around. Good luck .
Yote
Thanks! DMT needs to change their information since that is what I just spent $40 to purchase the "correct" size saw. Good thing I got it on amazon, I'll just return it for the correct size. Great to know!

I called DMT after I did my hood . Told them about needing to inform people to measure for the hole . This was two years ago .
Yote

The original holes were 4 1/8". I think the problem is a hole saw wobbles some and you end up with a slightly larger hole.

Yes, a hole saw can wobble and make hole slightly larger. To minimize this, as soon as pilot hole is through replace the drill bit with a smooth rod (mine was 1/4”). Run the hole saw SLOWLY with a little cutting oil.
I disassembled my cold air induction system to get my information right. My hole, using a 4.125 saw measured 4.149”, just .024” larger.
The groove in my ‘donut’ measures 3.935” or about .2” (3/16”) smaller than the recommended 4.125”. Even a 4” hole would be slightly large. Will post a couple pictures as soon as I can get them to download from my phone. As said before, DO NOT make your hole before checking.
Yote

Always be real careful when using a large hole saw. I spent 30 years as a sparkie and used them almost daily sometimes. Back in the 80's I was drilling a 4.5" hole and twisted the drill up along with my wrist. 30 years later they ended up removing 3 bones from my wrist.

My hood with ‘donut’ pushed to the right, the second to the left. Reference to my above post with hole measurements. Note the pencil mark.
Yote
2EC2A6B2-E317-45E6-8363-ACE8A553492C.jpeg
E

68E24822-6BE0-435E-8FBE-6C0403CA15D6.jpeg

So I got my 4-1/8" Lennox hole saw and the rubber rings from DMT and if you look at the groove in the picture below, it is pretty much a perfect match for a 4-1/8" hole. Now you could say on the right side the grove is not lined up with the saw but hey, its freaking rubber so if I rotated it I could have got a perfectly lined up shot. It's impossible to measure the grove dimension with a dial caliper unless you have a caliper with a very deep throat to get to the max diameter and even then, the groove is so thin the caliper blade would start distorting the round shape...

Like @Yote suggested, replace the bit with a round rod once the pilot is drilled to keep it from wandering as hole saws tend to do. Who knows, maybe DMT is using a different vendor? All I know is it looks perfect to me.

image0[5125].jpeg

Glad you got one that fits. At least you measured to be sure . Maybe I should order another set (probably won’t)lol.
Yote

-
Back