Under hood locations

-

GTSowner

Reaction score
Where are the factory locations for the ballast resistor and voltage regulator on a 1968 Dart? It seems the locations varied from the many photos available. Do they vary between the big block and small block?

Hmm, all the A-bodies I am familiar with have them in the same area. Driver side of the firewall. Voltage regulator is just outboard of the master cylinder. Ballast resistor is outboard of that, tucked below the body flange.

Screen Shot 2021-08-04 at 6.58.34 PM.png

Thanks. That helps. There are several photos with the locations like yours. My 68 has the resistor on the windshield wiper motor housing and it appears to be stock. There are also factory holes in the firewall where your resistor and regulator are located.

Thanks. That helps. There are several photos with the locations like yours. My 68 has the resistor on the windshield wiper motor housing and it appears to be stock. There are also factory holes in the firewall where your resistor and regulator are located.
The resistor on the wiper motor is not the ignition ballast resistor, it is for the wiper system. Ignition ballast is located as mvh showed.

I need to do some wire tracing. It appears the existing wires could reach a resistor located on the driver's side firewall but I don't see any wires for the wiper motor resistor. They would likely originate on one of the bulk head terminals. I have more work to do. This was a big block car that had no engine when I bought it and there was a small amount of wiring modification under the hood. Looks like it could have been for a breakerless distributor. Thanks for all the input!

-
Back