under hood wring harness

-

17dartandbroke

Reaction score
The old 318 is out and I was looking at my under hood harness. It is all there, but a little chewed up. I cut a few things when going from factory electronic ignition to MSD. It all works fine, but I was wondering what is in cluded in a new under hood harness. Do you guys think it would be worth it to pick one up? And, if so where from? I am going to put a one wire alt, so that eliminates a few more wires from the stock harness as well. I pretty much just need it for the lights and starter.

Thanks in advance,
Daryl

30 to 40 year old wiring is kinda scary to me, especially if it has a bunch of hack jobs. It would be sad to put all your time and money into a car just to have an electrical fire screw it up. That's why I plan to use all new wiring when I redo my Dart's.

Year One sells them....

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=A

and Bill & Rose Evans have been making them for many years and can even do custom work for whatever your need...

http://evanswiring.tripod.com/evanswiringharnesses/index.html

-Nick :thumleft:

If you're not concerned with 'originality', you can get a Painless universal harness and do it all yourself. They use the modern blade type fuses instead of the the glass bullets.

The painless ones are nice, thats what we put in Chads car. You could go with a forward lighting harness and just make your own for the engine since you're running a MSD and a 1-wire alt.

or you could get some relays and lots of wire and wire it all yourself :) (relays for the lights)

so? if its not all that COLD, then what does it matter? :)
im the kind of person that would do something like that. just so i would have something to do, and so id know how it was run... but im weird, so...

Theres a foot of snow on the ground here, Beside a new engine harness is under $150 and takes 10 minutes to plug in.

I made my own front harness myself ...wasn't hard to do and it allowed me to run the loom where I wanted and not where Ma Mopar thought was best ...really cleaned up the engine compartment this way

i think that I will be going with the painless harness for simplicity. I just need brakes, headlights, tail lights, blinkers, and ignition. My blinkers are on a 3 way toggle switch in the wheel anyways. Thanks for the input guys.

17dartandbroke said:
i think that I will be going with the painless harness for simplicity. I just need brakes, headlights, tail lights, blinkers, and ignition. My blinkers are on a 3 way toggle switch in the wheel anyways. Thanks for the input guys.
Why were they like that?
I have had problems with the column switch before, where certian lights would only work when the brake lights were on and such.
Went to my Plymouth dealer and picked up another one, and fixed all the badly grounded light sockets

it was a quick fix when i drove the thing daily to get around the in column switch. i didnt know that I could pick one up from a dealer. I am looking at the 12 circut drag race harness from painless with the switch panel.

-
Back