underbody rust removal

-

mopardemon340

Reaction score
whats the best way to remove rust from the under body and from inside of the frame rails and what to seal it with. this car is painted so cant be sand blasted.

whats the best way to remove rust from the under body and from inside of the frame rails and what to seal it with. this car is painted so cant be sand blasted.
Eastwood makes a product that you can spray on the inside of the frame rail. it's a coating that treats and prevents future rust. As far as removing the rust from the underside of the car: knock off the loose rust with a wire brush or your method of choice. Por15 maybe? I've heard a lot of good results from that. Have never personally used it though.

Eastwood makes a product that you can spray on the inside of the frame rail. it's a coating that treats and prevents future rust. As far as removing the rust from the underside of the car: knock off the loose rust with a wire brush or your method of choice. Por15 maybe? I've heard a lot of good results from that. Have never personally used it though.

The rust stopper product is called "Rust Encapsulater". I've heard great things about it, but
have not ever used it. As far as removing all the loose rust, go get you some cheap Harbor Freight wire wheels for a drill. They work well for the price, but I would highly recommend a top quality (3M Respirator/for dust, welding smoke, body filler dust) as these wire wheels and such, have many unknown chemicals in them, (Made in China) that will plug up your lungs time your 45-50 years old. There is not much you can do with any of the rust up inside the frame rails. Best of luck on getting your cars underside cleaned up.

After stripping everything (suspension, fuel/brake lines etc.) I did mine with an angle grinder and wire wheels. Then I painted it with "Tremclad Rust Paint", 2 coats with a brush. I know about POR15 etc., but this didn't cost a fortune, covered the residual rust just fine and stuck like sh** to a blanket. Then I sprayed my wheel wells with Rubberized Undercoating. After 5 years, no problems - looks like it was all done yesterday and cleans up great with a wet rag. (I should mention that I only drive her on Sunny days)

Just in the middle of refinishing north of the tranny X-member while the engine is out.

Shittus Jobbus Maximus.

May 27 2012 002.jpg
June 2 12 011.jpg
June 2 12 016.jpg
100_6913.JPG

Hate to be the barer of bad news but por15 doesn t work. Its hard as nails so it doesn t blister as easy so you don t see the rust bubbling. Strong stuff, but all it does is slow rust down. Only way to kill it is to blast, chemicals then topcoat to prevent future breakouts. Have a lot of experience with the product and procedures. It is great cause its tough. Has its place

@Dusterdenovo - Did your car have factory undercoating? Hard to tell from the pics. Mine does and I'm 100% not looking forward to scrapping all that $h!7 off. Your car looks great though!

@Dusterdenovo - Did your car have factory undercoating? Hard to tell from the pics. Mine does and I'm 100% not looking forward to scrapping all that $h!7 off. Your car looks great though!

Yup - in the wheel wells and on the frame. In the wheelwells, I pressure washed it good and covered it with the Rubberized Undercoating, good and thick.

I used a heat gun and a 1" putty knife to scrape the frame rails and it came off like butter. Had to follow with the wire wheel to clean off the residual, which then came off good at room temp.
May 26 2012 018.jpg
May 26 2012 020.jpg

Clean up best as you can and treat it with Ospho or Rust-Mort then paint.

-
Back