Unicorn Hardware, pre 69 front 10 inch small bolt pattern any advice ?

-

Busmanmoab

Reaction score
Hi there new member , thanks for the site ! Ive got a 1968 GT V8 Dart 273 . my never return spring and lever on the drivers side got munched I have searched Hi and low for these items . Dont really want to covert everything to post 69 or do a swap to discs just want to keep it going the way it was , anybody have some laying around i could but from you ?
Im no racer just want to cruze this puppy around , it aint no gem but it puts a smile on my face every time i drive around

tempImageSZQkCG.png

2C574F22-AF9C-4B1C-8436-649FC94C930E.jpeg

Hi there new member , thanks for the site ! Ive got a 1968 GT V8 Dart 273 . my never return spring and lever on the drivers side got munched I have searched Hi and low for these items . Dont really want to covert everything to post 69 or do a swap to discs just want to keep it going the way it was , anybody have some laying around i could but from you ?
Im no racer just want to cruze this puppy around , it aint no gem but it puts a smile on my face every time i drive around

View attachment 1716023922

View attachment 1716023923
Try Rock Auto

Lots if people have swapped front drums for discs and have parts laying around..
Post in the WANTED section.

If you just want the brake springs, NAPA has em or can get em. Just got a full set for my 62 from them. Ordered at nine am, in the store at noon.
EDIT: but I had to find the part number on line, myself. First guy in the store I talked to, couldn't or wouldn't look up anything that old.....

Last edited:

View attachment 1716023922

View attachment 1716023923
Cool convertible

If you just want the brake springs, NAPA has em or can get em. Just got a full set for my 62 from them. Ordered at nine am, in the store at noon.
EDIT: but I had to find the part number on line, myself. First guy in the store I talked to, couldn't or wouldn't look up anything that old.....
My adjuster lever broke as well so im hoping to find a drivers side one , cant tell if the pre 68 9 inch adjuster levers are the same as mine ?

Nice rig do you have more pictures that I can access would love to put some nice hub caps on mine , cant tell if yours are rims or caps
Thanks, my dad bought it new and drove it as his daily driver for 25 years.

The wheel covers are full hubcaps.
14 inch, sometimes referred to 8 slot mag, but the part number is 2823 024

They come up on eBay from time to time, as long as they are not bent they can be restored easily.
Screenshot_20221219-124116.png

Screenshot_20221219-124408.png

Screenshot_20221219-124443.png

PXL_20221219_194724096.jpg

Thanks, my dad bought it new and drove it as his daily driver for 25 years.

The wheel covers are full hubcaps.
14 inch, sometimes referred to 8 slot mag, but the part number is 2823 024

They come up on eBay from time to time, as long as they are not bent they can be restored easily.
View attachment 1716024064

View attachment 1716024065

View attachment 1716024066

View attachment 1716024070
Cool story i will keep my eyes open for the caps ! The Dart is just so much fun to run around in I love it !

yup my fault still learning how to navigate this site , wasn't sure how to message him personally got it now , sorry :(

Not a unicorn AFAIK.
1968 is confusing in the aftermarket books but it shouldn't be.

1968 Model Year is different than '67 only in the shoe frame uses tabs.
This change is mentioned in the service manual and the Master Tech Conferences.
Changes to brakes Sixty Eight Service Features (Session 242)page 13
from
The big change occured starting Jan 1, 1969 - and that does effect the hardware. Starting in 1969 the adjusters were reversed to work with the new self adjusting system that moved up the wheel upwards instead of downward.

Service Bulletins here: The 1970 Hamtramck Registry "1968 DODGE MODEL TSBs Index" Page

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the details ! Because of the out pouring of support i did find the hardware and will now get er back up and going. You seem to be very informed , so it was said by someone that the hard ware was changed because of the brakes self adjusting to the point of locking up!? Im 57 years old and spent 9 years in Germany getting trained on Mercedes so drum brakes are not foreign to me , is there anything i should pay special attention to regarding the assembly of the said brakes ? less lube more lube ect. thanks for your time !

Really all I know is what is in the Plymouth & Dodge service manuals, supplemented big time by the Master Technician's Conference and TSBs.

I never had a real issue with the '67 brakes, but was curious as to a few things. One was that the parts books (back when I bought most all replacement items at local parts stores) either didn't have the disk/drum option listed, and/or had conflicting information about drum parts and interchangability. I tried to resolve as much as I could by going to Chrysler dealerships that had the old books and would let me look stuff up. Later of course when the Imperial Club and Barry digitized those MTSC and other dealer literture, the pieces came into place.

Another curiousity was the drum hardware for police, taxi, etc. that was adopted for racing (and road rally). In those applications, self-adjusters were not usually used. As far as I know, that did not change when the new self-adjusting system was implemented.

The new self-adjsuters may have been a minor problem that the factory decided was worth implementing in the interest of reducing even minor customer anoyances. But not frequent enough of an issue to encourage changing the pre-69 cars to the new system.

I made a crib sheet for the rear 10" drums
1672257233200.png

151 is the Ford version but will work. 256 is probably the Chrsyler version. Aftermarket prefers to go for one size fits most, close enough so 256 is rarely seen.

1672257345603.png

288 is rarely found, but Craig probably has some. I found a set of Firestone branded old stock 288 on ebay, although have not used them.
1672257663645.png

Another thing I look for, when possible, is the edge lining codes. Makes no sense to have a friction lining with a lower rating than factory linings. of course that means finding original factory linings that have edge codes... that's another rabit hole.
It is interesting that even aftermarket manufacturers back then often used a different lining material on the primary and secondary shoes.

-
Back