Unique SBM Engine and Intake

-
Yea if you dig you can find some stuff on the Westlake, but I don't see anything about this engine. The accessories seem to be the same, motor plate, pumps, etc, but the intake and the heads are different for sure. The intake on the Westlake is custom for the heads, I think its the same as for the Ford Westlake engine.

going back to the first picture, anybody have the old Hot rod issue with this in it? For some reason, the name Mario Rossi pops to mind and I see a black and white picture of this engine.

The March 2, 2017, online issue of HOT ROD Magazine contains an excellent article by Al Rogers on the current restoration status of the Rossi Engineering 1969 Dodge Daytona. Bill Rossi, son of legendary car owner & mechanic Mario Rossi, purchased the car in 2013. The Dodge Daytona was the last winged car to compete in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. Its final race was the 1971 Daytona 500, contested on February 14, 1971. After completion of the 1970 season, NASCAR president Bill France decided to end the dominance of the specially constructed “aero cars” by limiting their engine size to 305 cubic inches. Rossi and his driver, Porterville, California native Dick Brooks, were the only team that fielded an “aero car” for the race, as the other teams opted for the ability to run the larger engines. While the other Dodge and Plymouth cars at Daytona were powered by the proven 426 cubic inch Hemi engine, Rossi’s 1969 Dodge Daytona was equipped with a relatively small 305 cubic inch engine built by Californian drag racer Keith Black. Brooks would lead 5 laps in the event and finish in 7th position, after losing two laps due to a collision with Pete Hamilton’s Plymouth. "From Hot Rod On-Line Mag" Keith Black! That fits, but not the injectors.

I always loved that 305 Daytona story. But that engine was more like the Trans-Am series engines that Sam Posey and Dan Gurney ran. This was a different project.

I agree, but it's weird that nascar said they could run a 305 cu in engine. That was the TA engine size. If he won, do you think they would have kept running it?

I built a 305 hemi back then
less torque down low but about the same HP as a 426 at higher revs
They banned it real quick
Motor ended up at bonneville but as I remember 305 is not an exact cu in break
but gas/ fuel -blown-unblown never broke

Last edited:
I agree, but it's weird that nascar said they could run a 305 cu in engine. That was the TA engine size. If he won, do you think they would have kept running it?

305-4 was the Trans Am series engine size while the production T/A and AARs had 340-6.

NASCAR was trying to get rid of all of the "specialty" cars. If it won, it probably would have gotten saddled with more restrictions or outright banned.

Interesting article that mentions Petty looked at it but figured the small block would't be competitive anyway. But obviously the team, along with Keith Black, tweaked the combo enough to surprise everyone. Ironically, NASCAR eventually reduced the size to 358 and Mopar ran their 355 small block. (I think Mopar ran a 426 wedge for a short time after the HEMI, but can't find info at the moment.)

Aero Warriors - The Little Engine That Almost Did

I don't remember the dimensions
I know I worked on a 361 Industrial low deck block but there were others
361 had a 4 1/8 bore but AFIK 4.250 bore worked better 4 1/8 had the tops of the bores notched 4 1/4 was, of course, stock hemi
Industrial block was stronger than 383

The Dodge Daytona was the last winged car to compete in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. Its final race was the 1971 Daytona 500, contested on February 14, 1971.

I had NO idea monster energy drinks were around in the 70s
I thought they came by in the 2000s

I had NO idea monster energy drinks were around in the 70s
I thought they came by in the 2000s

I've seen other old events referred to with their current sponsors as opposed to the original sponsors in articles. There may be some sort of legal clause. "Winston" has been a bad word for a while now.

I've seen other old events referred to with their current sponsors as opposed to the original sponsors in articles. There may be some sort of legal clause. "Winston" has been a bad word for a while now.
I had not noticed this
I'd tell you my opinion on that, but next thing you know we'd be in the N&P

Always be Winston Cup to me. Just like NHRA Winston Drag Racing.

hildabrain fuel injected small block got that usac sprint car look to it, them boys like every thing gear driving and light weight!

305-4 was the Trans Am series engine size while the production T/A and AARs had 340-6.

NASCAR was trying to get rid of all of the "specialty" cars. If it won, it probably would have gotten saddled with more restrictions or outright banned.

Interesting article that mentions Petty looked at it but figured the small block would't be competitive anyway. But obviously the team, along with Keith Black, tweaked the combo enough to surprise everyone. Ironically, NASCAR eventually reduced the size to 358 and Mopar ran their 355 small block. (I think Mopar ran a 426 wedge for a short time after the HEMI, but can't find info at the moment.)

Aero Warriors - The Little Engine That Almost Did

Rambling here but... Makes me wonder how different the American auto industry might have been if that hadn't happened. European and Asian automakers have always been constantly adapting technologies developed for racing to street vehicles but that kind of died out in the U.S. after the 1960s. The biggest manufacturer-backed racing series here are so regulated that cars are built to racing spec and have absolutely nothing in common with production cars. NASCAR technology is basically 50 years old and the only tech that comes from pro drag racing is how to make more powerful giant V8s which is totally unrelated to the modern car market. True there's nothing in common between a Formula 1 car and a 4-door sedan but at least in F1 there's a strong push to develop the most advanced technology possible as a way to get an advantage over competitors. The only way cars like the Corvette and Viper(RIP) improved was by racing in international competitions...

Imagine if NASCAR put a 305-cube limit but allowed OHC valvetrains, then one of those designs trickled down to the production market. THAT would be COOL.

-
Back