Universal clutch spring compressor tool

-

flynlady

Reaction score
I'm gathering up supplies and tools to be ready to rebuild a transmission. Thankfully my husband has most tools necessary.

Watched a video on transmision rebuild. However, the video suggests using a Universal clutch spring compressor ... Is this a tool that can be rented? Is it NECESSARY?!?!? Can I make one or will I have to buy?

Suggestions? GO!!!!

What year model is your car, (or transmission) and what do you have for books? I can point you to the factory manuals kickin' around here and there,

you want the Karl Munroe book

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Torqueflite-727-Transmission-Handbook-HP1399/dp/1557883998"]Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook HP1399: How to Rebuild or Modify Chrysler's A-727 Torqueflite for All Applications: Carl Munroe: 9781557883995: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

and the ASTG books are good

https://www.atsg.us/atsg/chrysler-manuals-1.html

I don't know what your fab / welding etc skills are, here

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=789568#post789568

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...he_904_torqueflite_transmission/photo_08.html

https://www.google.com/search?num=40&newwindow=1&q=torqueflite%2C%20clutch%20compressor&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=tW2tUZ_bJMfuiQK6nID4BA&biw=1252&bih=611&sei=t22tUcC8NaPniwLS7ICYDA#imgrc=_

ASTG Manual should be delivered tomorrow

NO experience welding ... BUT would love to learn .... One thing at a time though

I checked out some of the same images but didn't see the same tool that I saw on video ... I'm sure I'll find something that'll work without having to spend more than it would cost to have a trans shop do the rebuild

I must be getting old and seenile(?).... I have installed several clutches and dont remember a spring compressor involved ???

Did you ever get a new vent box? I feel bad that I got your hopes up with mine only to find out it was different. I am half tempted to send it anyways just to show I was sincere... Not like I am using it...just more clutter in my garage..lol

Oops ... Transmission is believed to be the 904. Car is '66 Valiant but engine is '76 (NOT what I was lead to believe by the A$$hole that sold me the car...aaaarrrgghhh!). We're not sure if trans is '76 but I believe that doesn't matter and that the 904 rebuild is basically the same as the 727.

I JUST need the current transmission in it to hold me until I can swap the 225 /6 for a 318 v8 with already rebuilt 727 tranny ...

BYW , I tried to get ahold of Max.the guy with the 64 or 65 valient with 10k that was totaled back in 66. Turns out he had a breakdown after losing his job and is in the Loony bin...too bad.. He was adecent guy..albeit he had an obsession for cars..had like 80+ cars and the cuty was on his *** for running a salvage yard without proper zoning! He wasnt running a salvage yard..he just couldnt help himself and bought every old car that came along...I remember he bought a 48 olds in MN only to find out that it was buried in mud and totally rusted once he got to MN ! Paid 800 and spent 400 and 6 days going to get it !!

I must be getting old and seenile(?).... I have installed several clutches and dont remember a spring compressor involved ???

Did you ever get a new vent box? I feel bad that I got your hopes up with mine only to find out it was different. I am half tempted to send it anyways just to show I was sincere... Not like I am using it...just more clutter in my garage..lol

Hahahaha....there are so many doodads and thingymobobs in a transmission, my head is spinning. I can't even recall now on which part the tool is used!!!

Got the vent box and then some ... I've started my own pile of useless parts.

OHH.. Its an auto and you need a compressor for clutch packs...I see...

BYW , I tried to get ahold of Max.the guy with the 64 or 65 valient with 10k that was totaled back in 66. Turns out he had a breakdown after losing his job and is in the Loony bin...too bad.. He was adecent guy..albeit he had an obsession for cars..had like 80+ cars and the cuty was on his *** for running a salvage yard without proper zoning! He wasnt running a salvage yard..he just couldnt help himself and bought every old car that came along...I remember he bought a 48 olds in MN only to find out that it was buried in mud and totally rusted once he got to MN ! Paid 800 and spent 400 and 6 days going to get it !!

OMG ... That's horrible! Hope he comes out ok.

Thanks for trying, though!

Hahahaha....i meant the city was on his ***... Not a cuty...lmao.... A cuty wouldn't be so bad....lol

Yeah... He got the proper meds now...but I still cant get a hold of him.

I know another guy into 1st gen Abodies and will try to reach him. You do realize that we dont know what rust is in Id or NV....

if you really need one of those universal tools...let me know...if you will pay for shipping back n forth...i got one..that i dont use very offended...

When I built trannies many years ago I had a clutch compessor tool,and I sokld it to a friend of mine for twenty bucks.

Oops ... Transmission is believed to be the 904. Car is '66 Valiant but engine is '76 (NOT what I was lead to believe by the A$$hole that sold me the car...aaaarrrgghhh!). We're not sure if trans is '76 but I believe that doesn't matter and that the 904 rebuild is basically the same as the 727.

I JUST need the current transmission in it to hold me until I can swap the 225 /6 for a 318 v8 with already rebuilt 727 tranny ...

Sherry this isn't related to your question but I noticed something that needs attention. Make sure you properly identify what year the trans is. If it's an original 66 trans. the torque converter on them was a small pilot design and the 76 engine is for use with a large pilot torque converter. They can be used together if an adapter bushing is installed on the small pilot torque converter so it fits in the crankshaft properly. Some guys slap them together without the adapter and they go together ok but there's no torque converter pilot support when done that way and can break the flex plate or input shaft and/or possibly even damage the torque converter.

You can identify the trans. by 1 of 3 methods.

1. look on the passenger side just above the transmission pan rail for 2 sets of numbers. The set that starts out PK is the set that identifies it. It'll be something like PK 2538337. Here's a link to a website with the trans. identification #'s

[ame]http://mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf[/ame]

2. Count the splines on the input shaft. If it's an 18 spline input shaft it's the older small pilot type. If it is a 27 spline input shaft it's a 67 or newer large pilot converter.

3. The easiest way is to actually measure the torque converter pilot button. The pre67 style measures 1.55" o.d. and the 67 and newer measures 1.81" o.d. The pilot button I'm referring to is the part that slips into the back of the crankshaft. It needs to be a snug fit.

If you find you have a small pilot trans. and need the adapter let me know and I'll look for one. I think I've seen them on E-bay but some trans. supply centers may also have one.

Sherry this isn't related to your question but I noticed something that needs attention. Make sure you properly identify what year the trans is. If it's an original 66 trans. the torque converter on them was a small pilot design and the 76 engine is for use with a large pilot torque converter. They can be used together if an adapter bushing is installed on the small pilot torque converter so it fits in the crankshaft properly. Some guys slap them together without the adapter and they go together ok but there's no torque converter pilot support when done that way and can break the flex plate or input shaft and/or possibly even damage the torque converter.

You can identify the trans. by 1 of 3 methods.

1. look on the passenger side just above the transmission pan rail for 2 sets of numbers. The set that starts out PK is the set that identifies it. It'll be something like PK 2538337. Here's a link to a website with the trans. identification #'s

http://mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf

2. Count the splines on the input shaft. If it's an 18 spline input shaft it's the older small pilot type. If it is a 27 spline input shaft it's a 67 or newer large pilot converter.

3. The easiest way is to actually measure the torque converter pilot button. The pre67 style measures 1.55" o.d. and the 67 and newer measures 1.81" o.d. The pilot button I'm referring to is the part that slips into the back of the crankshaft. It needs to be a snug fit.

If you find you have a small pilot trans. and need the adapter let me know and I'll look for one. I think I've seen them on E-bay but some trans. supply centers may also have one.

Thanks soooo much .... I'll make the year determination before I get started and follow your instructions.

-
Back