Universal shock plate

-

perko

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm upgrading my 7.25 to an 8.25 but It didn't come with the shock plates. I was wondering if there were any universal or affordable aftermarket shock plates that I could order instead of trying to track down a used part?

Hello,
I'm upgrading my 7.25 to an 8.25 but It didn't come with the shock plates. I was wondering if there were any universal or affordable aftermarket shock plates that I could order instead of trying to track down a used part?
Mancini racing has them

Yeah, I saw those. They're $125 though. That's about half of what I paid for the rear end.
You can usually by a pair of shock mounts for 8 1/4 ... 8 3/4 (same shock plate) for about 50-60 bucks.
Maybe the 7 1/4 plates could be drilled to take the wider U-bolts... :poke:

Could you not just make some out of some plate steel?

IMG_0800.JPG

Yes, you can make shock plates out of flat stock but then you'd have to attach the part where the shock mounts. This can be done but you have to put a lot of forethought into it to make sure you get the correct angle/pitch/direction. I've done this on hot rods and it takes time and accuracy. If you don't align it correctly you'll have to replace the shock bushings frequently.

treblig

I have a set of 8 3/4 rear for $65.00 plus shipping. One just needs shock stud

20170102_144155.jpg

I think I'll give these at try. A little suspect at $20, but i guess we'll see. If the axle falls off I'll report back with a PSA. Thanks everyone.
got a set on my super street dirt car,..lot more hevy duty than stock stuff,..thicker metal! should do fine!

So... Im confused. I got the original rear end out, but I don't understand how to use these "universal spring plates". The mounting stud is a tube and its only 1/2 inch long as opposed to the kind of stud that I'm used to. Do i need some sort of adapter? Or are these for a different kind of shock. It seems like if I tried to put a stud into the tube It wouldn't be the right size, and If it did the shock would be mounted at a strange angle. An suggestions? Is there anywhere I can just buy a normal shock plate? That isn't mancini's $150 version.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender(1).jpg

I'd drill those washer thingies out of there and install some of these:

DSC07420.JPG
DSC07421.JPG
DSC07422.JPG
DSC07423.JPG

But don't get too excited....these are Chevy shock studs, I use them on all my hot rods when I need a good solid place to mount my shocks. What's nice about them is that they have a heavy "threaded shank" (with a shoulder built in) on one end which makes it mount very, very solidly!!

Treblig

I'd drill those washer thingies out of there and install some of these:

View attachment 1715027516 View attachment 1715027517 View attachment 1715027518 View attachment 1715027519

But don't get too excited....these are Chevy shock studs, I use them on all my hot rods when I need a good solid place to mount my shocks. What's nice about them is that they have a heavy "threaded shank" (with a shoulder built in) on one end which makes it mount very, very solidly!!

Treblig

yeah, I was thinking about doing that but I want to know why the plate came with the welded tube in the first place? I want to make sure that I'm not just a dumbass because historically, that's more than possible. One of the guys here said he was using this plate on his car and it worked.

Hello,

I just started to make shock plates since I needed a set of a project I was working on. If you still need a set shoot me a note. I made some extra plates so I can sell a few of these if people need them.

DSC_1526 (Large).JPG

Hi AndyF, I'd be interested in discussing the shock plates you have. Are there any left? I'm not sure how to P.M. on here, sorry.

I just started to make shock plates since I needed a set of a project I was working on. If you still need a set shoot me a note. I made some extra plates so I can sell a few of these if people need them.

View attachment 1715100097
Hi AndyF, I'd be interested in discussing the shock plates you have. Are there any left? I'm not sure how to P.M. on here, sorry.

Just click on AndyF's name on the far left and then click on " start a conversation"

treblig

-
Back