unknown gas tank problem?? filler hole size?

-

travisschroer

Reaction score
ok i have a early 64 (motor and a few other parts stamped 63) and my tank finally got rusty enough to prevent it from running more than a mile or so:banghead:. so i found a 65 dart 2dr post dieng in a pick and pull and after being reassured multiple times about not being able to buy it (cant save em all) i grabbed the bare tank and ac system got home and installed the tank and found the filler grommet from my tank is much smaller than the new tank???? every where i see the 63-66 tank is the same part no. so how do i get a correct grommet any one have any numbers or car i can look up.

thank you in advance
travis schroer

yes heavily lol actually just got off the phone with a vendor

so i know not many will run into this but some 63-64 darts,and valiants have 1 3/4 holes for the filler neck not the general 2" like normal that was what my problem was so now just need to order the grommet and mine will be good to go :burnout:

Sounds like the '65 Dart had the wrong tank. All the '66 and earlier tanks use the small diameter filler neck. NOS and reproduction grommets are available in a variety of places. If you have the '67 tank, I don't know of any grommet that will work with a '64 neck.

Sounds like the '65 Dart had the wrong tank. All the '66 and earlier tanks use the small diameter filler neck. NOS and reproduction grommets are available in a variety of places. If you have the '67 tank, I don't know of any grommet that will work with a '64 neck.

Nail on the head brother , just got the new grommet and same issue tried a spare from a buddies 73 dart and it fit....... stupid pick and pull lol any onje know where to get a fair priced tank

-
Back