Unlocking the steering wheel

-

zeekracing

Reaction score
I am about to buy a 70 dart but the owner has lost the keys. I need to unlock the steering wheel so I can load the car up on a trailer. What is the easyest way to do this?

Good question. For loading/unloading purposes, if the wheels are straight and you align the car and the trailer, you could always push it up on the trailer (a winch would be a better route). Once you unload it, and if you haven't figured out how to unlock it yet, you could use a cheap pair/set of wheel dollies/skates to manuever it around. This is a temp fix but one that will get the car moved.

Locksmith?

Somebody call me? I was going to suggest a locksmith but I didn't know about the time factor.A locksmith worth his salt could make a key for the ignition or door in a bout 10-15 minutes.I know I could.8)

Better yet pull the door lock and run it to the Local Locksmith and he should be able to make you a key at once. At this point you could now lock the car also other than starting it.

I can't get to the car with a trailer where it was parked at. The guy I'm buying the car from said it took a different key for the ignition then the doors. How much does it normaly cost for a locksmith to cut a key on site? I thought of trying to Jack the car up and slide it over but it's in dirt and the jack would probly sink.

Depending on where you are, I would guesstimate a locksmith will charge approx. $70-$100 (for the service call and to make a key). As for the jack sinking, a nice piece of 3/4" ply goes along way.

Pull the column enough to seperate it at the box coupling. Use a floor jack to lift under the K frame and turn with a tire.

Do you have access to a truck w/ a winch to pull the car to a solid surface ?

you could disable the pin/plate mechanism after pulling the steering wheel and turn signal plate.

Depends on whether or not you want to try and save the tumblers. If you aren't worried about the lock itself, use the tried and true method that thieves use. Get a 4lb slide hammer with a large screw on the end. Screw it in where the key goes and have at it. Will pop the lock in nothing flat then you can use a flat tip screw driver to turn on te switch. Not nice, not neat, but it does work....

Larry

I would pull the steering wheel and so on until I could remove the lock plate but not while others are standing in waiting. Takes too long and too many tools. 6 bolts hold the column up. Tou'll need a phillips head for a few trim screws, 7/16 and 1/2 inch sockets and long extension, universal, and a flsh light will be handy at the firewall plate. 1/4 inch pin punch and a hammer.
Hurry back :)

I like the slide hammer idea. I don't mind messing up the lock cylinder. I plan in replacing it anyway with a matched set. I have a big slide hammer and a screw attatchment. Hope that works as easy as it looks on tv. I'll have to try it this weekend.

-
Back