Unopened for 40 years

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Thought I post a pix of the original numbers matching engine out of my Swinger. Here is 40 years of gunk and after the trip to the machine shop and back.

Attachments

• DSC00964.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 623
  • DSC01095.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 623
Thanks. Some goodies like comp XE256, comp springs with dampers, comp lifters. I used stock .030 over cast sealed power pistons. Eddy performer with a 1406. Should have engine back in car by Christmas. Check oil pressure and flow with drill tonight 60lbs. Tomorrow I'll finish engine mounts, fuel pump and a few minor items.

Attachments

• DSC01101.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 578
Thought I post a pix of the original numbers matching engine out of my Swinger. Here is 40 years of gunk and after the trip to the machine shop and back.

MMMM. Tasty. Not bad for 40 years of grime.

I swear people would change thier oil more often if they could see how much gunk builds up in these things.

Well the eninge is in now and runs great. I have a few minor tuneup isses to resolve. I thought I would share.

Attachments

• DSC01119.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 270
It's not always lack of regular oil change that causes build up. Short run times that dont allow the engine to operate hot are just as bad.
I've seen the parafin in motor oil caked up on the top end like a gallon of black candle wax was poured over everything. Always cold sheet metal valve covers were the cause.
Going to a 195 degree thermostat was part of the mfgrs cure but that didn't cure the problem for those that had a very short daily commute.

My engine is 34 years old and I pulled it apart in November... Identical, lol.

Only thing is that I'm cleaning everything myself in the backyard. :banghead:

-
Back