Unqualified parts people.....

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Been in the auto biz,30 years.Wrenched 8 years,smog tech /light duty.Went to parts in 96,fell in love with it.Done time,at a speed shop,best thing I ever did. Man,things have changed! Some intelligent parts people out there,but DAMN it's shrinking.Would like feedback,pro/ con,Thanks!

I worked parts at a Dodge dealership from July 06 to May 07. Lady parts manager who hired me was great! She taught me a lot about the business and was fun to work with. She left in early April 07, and they re-hired the guy that she had replaced. This guy was the complete opposite. He sat on his fat a$$ all day in his office eating and surfing the net while I did all the work. I helped the techs and the customers. I ordered the parts from Ma Mopar. I received the parts and either shelved them or got them to the customer/tech that requested them. I swept, I mopped, I opened every day. Unfortunately I was making the parts manager look bad, so they "made some changes" and fired me. OF COURSE they kept the other parts guy that was a huge coke head. PLUS they promoted the pot head service writer that was 3 hours late to work the Saturday before I got fired.

After I left I spoke to some of the local shops I had dealt with, and they said they didn't like doing business with them anymore because things had gone WAAAAY downhill. I collected my last check from them in 2007, and HAVEN'T BEEN BACK SINCE!!!

I either run into lazy a@@holes at parts or guys that will go the extra mile but my experiance locally has been 1in 4 are good. Thats why i go online less idiots if i mess up it my fault.

the people at the dealership can't get what you want without suppying a part number.theres only one guy in town that gets it right thats paul at napa,

Last time I need a Mopar part...PEP BOYS in Tampa/Northdale...
I need air filter for 1969 Roadrunner 383..
What make is that ?..Plymouth...What was that make again.??

the people at the dealership can't get what you want without suppying a part number.theres only one guy in town that gets it right thats paul at napa,

There was a parts guy (Bruce) at oriellys that after my second visit he knew me by name and that's what gets returning customers. He was very polite, vast knowledge, didn't try selling me something I didn't need, and got me the right part the first time. Well Bruce got fired... guess were I don't go anymore.

advanced auto's computers show that 70 darts never came with disc brakes and the dumb arse thats operating the computer agrees . and i quote " Well sir it shows your car never came from the factory with disc up front and drum in the back. alot of modifications could have been done to it seeing how its 40 some yrs old" auto parts stores should have a automotive test along with there application and not a " can you operate a computer" question.

I agree with you all. Seems like the good ones get fired, or tired of being s&*t on, and leave. Most of they think mopar is a foreign language. I worked part time at oreillys for awhile, and 95%you of the others didn't know mopar had left and right lug nuts, even with the computer telling them. I dread every time I need to go get something. And of course its not for a chevy, so it usually not in stock.

i can tell you from over 30 yrs in the parts biz. the fast food parts chains want the cheapest labor they can get. they like unquestioning loyalty to the corperation also. you dont get that from smart folks. being as they have almost totally obliterated the mom n pop parts stores, they know they have us over a barrel. i worked at one of the big chain stores as the commercial manager. at one of their pep rallies they liked to have, we were told we would get a 50 dollar bonus if we were able to drive any independant parts store out of business. i stood up and stated that 50 bucks wasnt enough for causing other people to lose their jobs.. needless to say, i wasnt there very long..

During the 2010 Mopar Nats. my buddy and I were cruising Heath in my Duster that had just been completed a few days prior. When taking off at the stop light I gave the car too much clutch and not enough gas. The car started to die so I gave it more gas and shoved the clutch in and heard a small pop. Drove down to the next light and the car died. Pulled over to see what was wrong and found out the pop was my power valve in my carb.We kicked the idle up to about 1500 rpm and headed back to Brice Rd. where we were staying. I noticed the O'reilly parts on Brice was still open this late so we went in hoping they would have one. Went to the counter and asked for a power valve for a 3310 holley carb. The counter boy goes to his computer and says "what make, model and year is the car. I said that you'll never find it like that because they never came with holley carbs. He said he couldn't help me then since that is the only way that he can locate parts. Then my buddy asked where are your hi-performance parts and he said they didn't have any. Just then a customer that overheard us pointed over to the wall beside the counter and said "what they have is over there". Found one that must have been sold before that didn't have a gasket but it was the only one they had so I bought it and used my old gasket which is usually a no no since they tear upon removal. Got me thru the rest of the evening and went to Jegs next morning and got the correct one and a couple of extra gaskets. If you are ever on Indy's west side and need something from Oreily's stop at the one at 38th & High School Rd. and ask for Jennifer, she knows her stuff!

From my experience it's not all parts people, it's a majority of 'em, though. I get a good one, I hold on to 'em tight.

Two years ago, my Advance store fired my previous commercial parts pro (his fault, not the stores) and brought in a young lady who really didn't know a lot. Okay... here we go.

But she listened. She learned. She's become a valuable asset to my business over the past couple of years in helping me locate hard to find parts even if it means going outside Advance to find 'em. She'll make calls to reps on my behalf if I have any questions concerning certain parts. She's gotten to know me as a customer, knowing my preferences for certain brands and goes right to those brands when I'm looking for quotes.

It helps, though, that I've been patient with her during her learning curve when other shops have treated her like that stupid little girl over the phone. I've found that when I get the wrong part it's usually because I asked for the wrong part. If I'm asking for the wrong part, it's not her fault that she's sending me the part I've asked for, so how many of these guys out there are taking it out on her for their own screw ups?

Yes, I'll agree with some of you that the catalog can screw things up and the people who make the software for the catalog can be royal idiots. And some of the folks who get hired only know what the catalog says.

But isn't it up to us, as the persons installing the parts, to know what we want and to guide those of lesser knowledge through the process, even if it means looking up the part numbers before we go or being more discerning in who we deal with?

I agree about parts people, not being as knowledgable today, as in years past.
But, remember this. How many parts jockys were even born, when our cars were common on the road? "Back in the day", most parts people were "motor heads" to start with. If they didn't work as a mechanic, most at least worked on their own cars, before going into the parts business. Cars were less complicated back then, and basic systems were the same between car brands. I have started looking for a part time job, at parts stores, and if I get one, I will probably have a hard time with anything 2000 or newer.

I went to Crap Tire (Canadian Tire) for a ford solenoid for a project the guy asked 15 question on the imaginary car i had to make up before the computer would show the part number, They think with computers they can make a system that any monkey could do it for minimum wage to make a little more profit, but it just gives bad customer service and people just go else where.

I agree about parts people, not being as knowledgable today, as in years past.
But, remember this. How many parts jockys were even born, when our cars were common on the road? "Back in the day", most parts people were "motor heads" to start with. If they didn't work as a mechanic, most at least worked on their own cars, before going into the parts business. Cars were less complicated back then, and basic systems were the same between car brands. I have started looking for a part time job, at parts stores, and if I get one, I will probably have a hard time with anything 2000 or newer.

Correct. Today it's bolt ons, stick ons, and slip ons.

Napa is where I go. They still have racks of catalogs behind the counter and Barry and the guys know how to use them. tmm

Hey, don't get my post above wrong, I treat everyone that works at any place that I go to whether it be for auto parts, restaurant, or whatever....even car salespeople with respect. All I ask for is the same and a little effort to help me the customer!

I work at Oreilly’s now; I work there because they work around my school schedule. I am 29 years old, and in college over full time. I consider myself a very knowledgeable person about hotrod type stuff, but know little about drivability issues or faults probably because I have never had to earn a living turning a wrench. These When these stores hire somebody, they REALLY don’t care if you know anything about cars. There are two kids in high school that I work with, they are a royal pain. The older people that all of you would like to see behind the counters, are gone, it won’t happen because the lack of pay at these fast food type parts stores, and the fact that these types of jobs are regarded as kid jobs that require no intellect, any older folks have moved on to their respective careers, making more than 8 bucks an hour.

I either run into lazy a@@holes at parts or guys that will go the extra mile but my experiance locally has been 1in 4 are good. Thats why i go online less idiots if i mess up it my fault.

I can relate to that one. The bottom of our food chain is Auto Zone. I swear even the manager knows nothing. They do have one good parts man in the store and he was manager for about a year. He pullled out of the manager job and went back to a counter man because of all the bs.

advanced auto's computers show that 70 darts never came with disc brakes and the dumb arse thats operating the computer agrees . and i quote " Well sir it shows your car never came from the factory with disc up front and drum in the back. alot of modifications could have been done to it seeing how its 40 some yrs old" auto parts stores should have a automotive test along with there application and not a " can you operate a computer" question.

I went through this for rear 10" brake shoes for my 1968 Barracuda. Their computer and their catalogs showed no such application. I have old catalogs so I looked it up and gave them the part number to find out there was 67 brake drums in the Oklahoma warehouse.

Napa is where I go. They still have racks of catalogs behind the counter and Barry and the guys know how to use them. tmm

Our Oreilly's has paper catalogs for most everything. About every 5 years I get all of their old catalogs to add to my collection. I used to get them every year but they just stacked up way too fast.

I'm a mopar parts man. I was trained using paper catalogs and microfiche. The inventory was on a counter pad and prices were in a book. Everything was hand written.
What I am seeing in the business is a lack of respect or understanding for what the job actually entails. Parts is parts right? Owners of dealerships don't give the same consideration to parts men as they do techs. As such they don't pay as well causing decent parts men to move along. I did it, I'm only back due to health reasons.
I would suspect the heads of the large parts box stores have fancy degrees in marketing and think that the same customer service that applies to selling shoes applies to parts.
It's been my experience that decent parts guys generally have an automotive background. Wrenching or the like.
The parts guys at the box stores have daily quotas. Make the quota or get discipline. so there is no motivation to work with you to get the "hard to find part". A quart of oil is the same # on their quota as your part and easier to deal with.
Then I have to ask, why do we expect these places to have what we're looking for.
These places are working on an 80/20 inventory. 80% of their sales coming from 20% of their inventory. Having a part for 35 + yr old car just isn't good business. As a mopar parts guy, I keep my obsolescence to under 5%.
I could harp all day day, but wont.

gunbunny good factual statement, also in the boxes it has gone from rebuilding to replacing from technicians to part changers. 95% of the time the idiot behind the counter can get it right.

After 37 years in automotive 20+ as a tech. I wonder the opposite how are these guys able repair automobiles? Drivability and diagnosis? in more cases than not, is throwing parts at the problem... 20% of the time the Professional technicians guess on what they are working on! And expect to get the correct part?

sometimes you need to pay for what you need knowledge, but most of the time you do not. It is a numbers game low payroll lower prices, high payroll high prices. again 95+% of the time low payroll will get it right. Or do you pay 95+% more of the time for the few % that you need that knowledge? You guys have your 1st 2nd 3rd calls and know who to call. But MOSTLY the calls are for PRICE not knowledge.
If NAPA/ CarQuest are your first calls you could be a much more profitable business in no time going a different route.

Napa in Jackson CA is where I go majority of the time. Great service. Solid parts. Go out of their way to find anything you need.

That being said, I would like to find a catalog that had all replacement parts for my 74 Duster. I hate going to town, ever. I like looking thru a catalog, selecting parts on a diagram and ordering over the phone like people did in 1980.

Hell my neighbor has 4 different company's current catalog for his 71 f100 4x4. Each book has exploded diagrams and pretty much every part for the entire vehicle. Cams, valves, radiator shrouds, suspension parts, window seals, door strikers you name it, it is in catalogs. Where the heck do you find one for A body?

I wont even step foot in Napa because of the pieces of **** they have behind the counters and I get a discount there.

-
Back