Unsure which new Carb to pick

-
Use the right tool for the job. A 4bbl on a stock or near-stock Slant-6 is a sure-fire recipe for wasting lots of time and effort trying to get it to run as well as it did before.

Use the right tool for the job. A 4bbl on a stock or near-stock Slant-6 is a sure-fire recipe for wasting lots of time and effort trying to get it to run as well as it did before.
Therefore I'm going with that ebay link, sent message to him.

Yes, I would go with whatever size pipe the header collector is and not make a reduction there. Never been a fan of reducer collectors. After all, headers are a performance mod and if you're reducing the size of the pipe, how can that help performance?
Actually, a reduction at the end of the collector is what makes it a collector. This size reduction sets the collector length, and that along with the primary tube length, sets the RPM at which the collector is most effective in extracting the exhaust. The collector can be tuned like the primary tubes.

Actually, a reduction at the end of the collector is what makes it a collector. This size reduction sets the collector length, and that along with the primary tube length, sets the RPM at which the collector is most effective in extracting the exhaust. The collector can be tuned like the primary tubes.

And here I was thinkin a collector was simply where one section of pipe "collected" several others. No, what you are talkin about are reducers.

Like I said, I am leaving the debate outside this thread. It is simply my opinion that I don't like reducing the collector size. I see no point in it. It's worked well for ME.

"Not a problem at all. I build a LOT of 225 setups. You will actually want one of my other setups (eBay Item 222560179586) I recommend getting a choke from me as well. "

That was Thursday, I've sent two messages on thursday and friday, and he's still not replied??

He's one guy and he's probably got a day job; give 'im some days. If the choke he wants to sell you is an adjustable electric one, go for it.

He's one guy and he's probably got a day job; give 'im some days. If the choke he wants to sell you is an adjustable electric one, go for it.
I know, I know...just seemed odd that listings would expire and come back up multiple times since...unless ebay does that automatically?

In theory a small 4 bbl w vacuum operated secondaries would be best for both economy and power. But, not always realized in the real world.

I ended up getting the Motorcraft 2150 1.08 that SlantSixDan suggested. In addition to fixing some recent suspension issues (still a few things I need to replace but the worst part is done), the carb does work better than the old one, but with one issue--a hesitation like the old one when under load! The accel pump gives two steady streams, but it seems that sometimes the streams are delayed, i.e. the throttle is partly open before the streams start--but they're steady once they do. The four holes for the rod don't seem to effect when it starts, only the duration of the stream. The only google results I can find seem to be bad accel pump streams--not an otherwise good stream that's merely delayed.

Edit: It's listed as #48 jets and 7.5hg enrichment valve, if that helps.

Last edited:
Talk to the guy who supplied the carb, for sure, but also make sure to check the other things that can cause stumble/hesitation like this. Is your distributor vacuum advance can working/leak-free, and hooked up via a good hose without cracks or holes to the correct port on the carb?

Talk to the guy who supplied the carb, for sure, but also make sure to check the other things that can cause stumble/hesitation like this. Is your distributor vacuum advance can working/leak-free, and hooked up via a good hose without cracks or holes to the correct port on the carb?
Vac advance hose is only a few weeks old (was missing completely before that) Whether the rest of it works, I'm not sure, I'll have to check.

-
Back