Unusual things on my 1966 barracuda

-
Swapping the brakes for 9” would entail a spindle change up front and a backing plate change in the rearend, neither of which is an easy job to do just to grab the disc and 10” rear brakes. I think it may be a trash can car, just throwing on what was lying around. Certainly not a sold car.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking.

Was able to get a pic of Fender Tag. It's a little dirty but i think you can read it.
20190213_153426_resized.jpg

SO 718 is a extremely early car scheduled build date July 18 1966. The "number" is 265 which is the shipping order number.

Yes, that would be early for a 1967 model. This is a late date for a 1966 ? Is the shipping order number of 265 mean that it is the 265th car from that plant that day ?

AB is Commando 273,
C is transmission, Torqueflite,
D is Brakes, Disc brakes front 10"rear,
E is optional packages, (not finding that one yet)
F is optional packages Formula S,
R is radio, Musicmaster 2 watt AM radio.
S is heater, AC with heater,
T is gauges, tachometer,
b is seats, bucket seats,
and the last two I can't make out.

Yes, that would be early for a 1967 model. This is a late date for a 1966 ? Is the shipping order number of 265 mean that it is the 265th car from that plant that day ?
Let me go back and look at the date codes.

AB is Commando 273, C is transmission, Torqueflite, D is Brakes, Disc brakes front 10"rear, E is optional packages, (not finding that one yet) F is optional packages Formula S, R is radio, Musicmaster 2 watt AM radio. S is heater, AC with heater, T is gauges, tachometer, b is seats, bucket seats, and the last two I can't make out.

My notes have E1 as Cleaner Air package which this car has since it is a CA car.

SO718 is July 18 which would be late, sorry but the 265 doesn't make sense. It's just a order number and not a sequence number.

My notes have E1 as Cleaner Air package which this car has since it is a CA car.
That must be a 471 code which is CAP. The E codes are difficult to pick out. They span #360-479 and in your case end in "1". There's quite a few codes to choose from. California assembly is a different breed of cat.

My book says that the "Shipping order number" includes the scheduled production date and the shipping order number. California cars may be different. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Nicely optioned car I might ad.

It looks like 3702 66 Formula S 273/4 cars built.

I don't like the way the books are written. May be it's just because the production numbers were a bit sketchy. As a example:
5619 273-4
3107 4 speeds
2512 automatics
3702 Formula S (but no breakdown of how many 4 speeds or automatics)

My book says that the "Shipping order number" includes the scheduled production date and the shipping order number. California cars may be different. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Nicely optioned car I might ad.

Thanks.

The tell on whether it is an early or late build is the last six of the VIN (actually, just the first of those six).

The tell on whether it is an early or late build is the last six of the VIN (actually, just the first of those six).

I believe it is a late build. [Sequential Production number, typically starting with 100001]
The last six are-
176xxx

I've not been here before, but I've owned A-body Barracuda's since 1966, so I can give you a bit of insight.

If there's any production data on the vinyl roof, I've never seen it. All I can say is that even when they were new, it was seldom seen.

The heat riser helps the choke open faster. In half a century, I've gone through one on my Barracuda and one on my Chrysler. So I don't think it's a chronic problem. Fix it and forget it.

The most interesting answer I have for you is about the brakes. Around 1980, I was shopping for a car and I looked at a yellow Formula S owned by an ex-Chrysler engineer. It was a full, authentic Formula S in pristine shape, but had drum brakes. He explained that late in production, Kelsey Hayes had a strike and couldn't deliver calipers for a time. So a few disk brake cars were finished with drum brakes, just to get them out the door. I wasn't able to verify the story, so I passed on the car. Not saying your car proves the story, but it's completely plausible that it was true.

I've not been here before, but I've owned A-body Barracuda's since 1966, so I can give you a bit of insight.

If there's any production data on the vinyl roof, I've never seen it. All I can say is that even when they were new, it was seldom seen.

The heat riser helps the choke open faster. In half a century, I've gone through one on my Barracuda and one on my Chrysler. So I don't think it's a chronic problem. Fix it and forget it.

The most interesting answer I have for you is about the brakes. Around 1980, I was shopping for a car and I looked at a yellow Formula S owned by an ex-Chrysler engineer. It was a full, authentic Formula S in pristine shape, but had drum brakes. He explained that late in production, Kelsey Hayes had a strike and couldn't deliver calipers for a time. So a few disk brake cars were finished with drum brakes, just to get them out the door. I wasn't able to verify the story, so I passed on the car. Not saying your car proves the story, but it's completely plausible that it was true.

There's a recent thread here on the vinyl top. 1966 Barracuda Vinyl Top My car came with it but I don't see it shown on my fender tag under " V " I do have stamping on my tag that could be inspection stamping for it ,but I've only heard that and can't confirm. I have all trim and correct windshield rubber.

-
Back