unzipping the window

-

vallianted

Reaction score
Hey all.owned a 63 chevy 2 rag top for 24 years and always unzipped the back window before dropping the top.now we have a 65 valliant and was wondering if i have to do the with it ?
Ted

Look for the glove box car hand book, in 67 the lowering instructions are in it

I never did on my 1967.
IMG_4120.png

On my 64 Valiant lower top about 1/3 stop go back and gently fold the window in. Then proceed to lower the top.

Had a new top put on my car. I think the second time I unzipped the back window, the zipper broke.
My advice? If it doesnt need to be unzipped, don't mess with it.

I believe they put the zipper there for a reason!
Yeah, on a hot sunny day you can drop the back window and enjoy the air flow without putting the top down & having the sun beating down on you.... I have a buddy that does it a lot....

Back in the "day" we always unzipped back window on our converts before lowering the top. The cars I was familiar with were a '56 chevy, a 65 chevy impala, a 68 chevy Chevelle and a 63 valiant. I was sure surprised when I looked it up in a '63 valiant service manual which said "the rear window need not be unzipped! I checked my '69 Plymouth manual and there are directions for lowering a convert top but there is no mention at all of the rear window...RH

67 dart with the glass back window says don't unzip in the glove box drivers hand book

Took my wife's 63 valiant convert out yesterday. I lowered the top and left the window zipped in. All went well until I tried to snap on the boot and the top had not lowered far enough. Even a gentle push would not get it in the well far enough to snap on the boot. I could tell it was noticeably higher. I raised the top, unzipped the window and down it went, far enough to snap on the boot....RH

-
Back