Up in Smoke

-

DEWEZE

Reaction score
Well, I went to take my 69 Dart for a cruise today and when I went to start the car I smelt something burning. Then I saw the smoke coming from under the dash. I got the battery disconnected in time but, there are few melted wires under there. Do you think that I am better off going with a used harness or looking for an aftermarket one ( like a Painless )?

This depends on how mechanically inclined you are?A used one is just a plug in,as to rewiring everything!

Is the 68 Dart wiring harness the same as a 69?

Repair the harness you have is not an option ?

Here's the one I just got for my dart $150.00

New wiring.jpg

Here's the one I just got for my dart $150.00

Used the same one for my Dart. You will have to pull and reroute a few wires but overall not a hard job. Patience is the key, and read the instructions over many times before you start. Steno pad and a few sharp pencils to make notes helps too!!!

Larry

I would get another original dash harness tend to be easy to find in yards and if there is a problem you have an easy wiring diagram once you start playing with aftermarket gremlins get the upper hand

I'm concidering replacing my harness in my '67 B-body. Added a battery shut-off (friends suggestion & he did it for me), now I feel better about leaving the old car in my attached garage now. The thoughts of all amperage running thru 50+ year wiring & dash AMP gauge gave me concerns.

I would ask questions (and I will) about how any new aftermarket harness will connect to a MOPAR, like do they come with the correct connectors for our ignition swt, steering column, alt, dash gauges ect... Now might be a good time to update the alternator. I would like for my headlights to not dim when I pull up to a stoplight at night. Yeah, another case of the "snowball effect", one change elads to another. Maybe there are even other questions to ask... I would like to hear more myself.

Glad your fire was small

Thats my biggest fear. Completing the restoration and all that money/effort up in smoke.

Im definitely rewiring!!

I found a wiring harness for a 68 Dart. Is it the same as a 69

Or you could use http://isispower.com and not worry about hot wires behind the dash that could put your project up in smoke ever again. It's spendy, which is what I think will keep people from it, but it's easy to wire, has less wires, no hot wires behind the dash, it's programmable, will do anything a modern day vehicle electrical system can do, and it's easy to troubleshoot problems. There's a group buy going on at pro-touring.com for some savings. I was about to jump on a Ron Francis kit until I found this one. One reason for the move is not worrying about smoke pooring out from behind my dash.

-
Back