Upgrading Ignition system

-

kc0r8y

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a complete upgrade on my ignition system. I currently have the Mopar electronic setup in my 69 Dart / 408 LA motor.

I'm looking to swap over to MSD. Dizzy, 6AL and Coil.
My goal is to get rid of the stock voltage regulator, ballast resistor, and mopar ignition boxes.
I also plan to do a complete rewire with an aftermarket Kit.

Has anyone done this and what parts did you use?

Thanks
Ken

Maybe consider a magneto. Call Pat Mason at Mason Racing Ignitions. He'll build you one to suit your needs. The coil is integral and you run ONE wire to a ground switch. Nothing else besides plug wires hanging off the mag. And besides all the "myths" about mags consider there are no aircraft running electronic ignitions.

Ron Francis Wiring kit XP-68 Dodge/Chrysler Powered EXPRESS Wiring System
MSD 6AL
Pace Performance Billet Pro Series Distributor ( ask Johnny for the right one )
MSD Blaster HVC Ignition Coil - 8252

or something like that ?

Ken

as mentioned...I installed the ron francis xp-68 express with the MSD 6AL and very happy with both. I'm also running the MSD blaster coil. However I'm running a mallory unilite with module (it came with the motor I bought). Although the distributor has not given me any trouble so far I've read mixed reviews mostly negative to extremely positive but many of those people have not hooked it up correctly either. I remember turning the key after the MSD install...what a difference in the cranking "energy"!

Easiest would be the ready-to-run Ningbo distributor plus e-core coil on ebay. Since only $70 total, you could afford to carry spares in the trunk. But, sounds like you want to spend more and there are many solutions (red, yellow, ...) to take your money, though perhaps not appreciably improve the spark. Anything which requires a ballast is old-fashioned electronics. For the very best spark control, you need an electronic box like megasquirt, megajolt, Holley Commander 950, or such. Ideal would be with an LS coil per cylinder, but that would be a custom design.

-
Back