Upgrading wheels on 70 swinger

-

Eric hadden

Reaction score
I am getting ready to order some rims for my 70 dart. I am going with 17s. Getting torque thrust 5 spoke wheels. My question is how will it affect my front.? Do I need a narrower wheel or will an 8" wheel work in the fenderwell. I still have small bolt pattern so I am special ordering them.

Its gonna have a lot to do with the outer diameter of the wheel with the tire on it. What's the difference between a 14" wheel with a 70 series tire compared to a 17" wheel with a 45 series tire?
I dunno man, I recommend talking to a tire shop.

Its gonna have a lot to do with the outer diameter of the wheel with the tire on it. What's the difference between a 14" wheel with a 70 series tire compared to a 17" wheel with a 45 series tire?
I dunno man, I recommend talking to a tire shop.
Well, I know the tire will be a lower profile. Tire won't lean like my 15" does. Rear tire rub fenderwell in sharp curves. I just like the look of a 17. Gives more of a restomod look. I plan on alot of other things I want to do later.. but for now this will do..

I'd stick with 17x7's in the front and 17x8's in the back. It just looks better. You don't mention what you're putting in the back or what aspect ratio tire you intend to use.

On my 71 Dart I have 215/45-17 front & 235/45-17 rear. The front have plenty of clearance and the rear has approx. 1/2" sidewall clearance and is tucked up nicely in the wheel well. Overall tire height is 25". The wheels has recently been updated, but still the same size. This should give you a good idea of what it should closely look like.

IMG_0454.JPG

I'd stick with 17x7's in the front and 17x8's in the back. It just looks better. You don't mention what you're putting in the back or what aspect ratio tire you intend to use.

On my 71 Dart I have 215/45-17 front & 235/45-17 rear. The front have plenty of clearance and the rear has approx. 1/2" sidewall clearance and is tucked up nicely in the wheel well. Overall tire height is 25". The wheels has recently been updated, but still the same size. This should give you a good idea of what it should closely look like.

View attachment 1715433690

This is exactly what I was looking for. That looks just like I was hoping for mine. Right now I got 25575r15. That's as wide as I can go without relocating the springs. I want as wide of a tire as I can fit in there.. I love the fat tire look. Eventually I will minitub it... unless this look works for me. This is what it looks like now.

20190825_161749.jpg

It really depends on what you want to run in the front for tires. With 17” wheels you could easily run 245/45/17’s up front if you wanted to, which would require a 17x8. In the back if your current tires rub on the quarters when turning then you may want to add a little more backspace to your new rims so your new 255’s will clear, but that will also depend on your current tire to spring clearance and whether you have any extra room there.

What are the specs on your current rims? Looks like they have very little backspace in the front, the wheels are almost outside the fenders.

Also keep in mind that the shorter sidewall profile means you’ll want wider rims for a given width tire compared to a 15” rim. For example, in the back if you’re always going to run 255’s you may consider running a 17x9”, because a 17x8 is the smallest rim that tire will fit on.

Here's 17x7 on all 4. Fronts I've used 225 and 215/45/17 these are 215. On the rear I've used 235/45 and 235/55/17. Personally I like the 55 series because it adds 2" of tire height in the rear and fills the wheel well up

20180914_152955.jpg

20171227_105314.jpg

-
Back