upper ball joint install question 1972 dart

-

moparjon

Reaction score
first time doing ball joints . stock original a arms . i will be installing the upper ball joints today . my question is should i grease the threads at all before screwing the new one in ? or clean everything off and install dry ? if so , would anti sieze be better than grease ? i plan on tightening to 125 ft lbs . i searched and looked for hours but can find anything . factory service manual just says install by hand and tigten to torque . i am asking because the threads had grease there upon removal , but was not sure if that was just from normal lubrication or not . thanks

I've never used anything on the threads, but it's not a terrible idea. I have found that if you put the new joint into the threads and turn it counter clockwise until the first thread drops in it will be easier to install and use the original threads. Keeps the joint straight, too (as long as the original was straight).

I use either one. I wouldn't worry so much about the actual torque spec. Those puppies are pretty tight to thread in usually, especially if you've painted or powder coated the control arm and have some paint in the threads. Just make sure you bottom them out all the way regardless of the torque needed. If you are tightening the ball joints with the control arm mounted on the car, just be absolutely sure the car is on some sturdy jack stands. I've seen people pull the car off the stands trying to tighten (or loosen) the ball joints.

-
Back