upper ball joint threads

-

Rbob

Reaction score
Threads are messed up on one A-arm. Bought these a couple years ago from a member here.

One ball joint was not screwed in all the way, tried to tighten, no go.

Took it out and threads are toast.

Who knows what size and pitch of the BBJ thread's?

Thanks if you know ....

i don't know the threads off hand, but a tap that large will be hella expensive.

if your OK with it, i would just weld it in and call it a day, or get another a-arm

Ditto, tack weld, another arm, or...I think I've seen weld on collars with pre-cut threads - remove the old collar with a cut off wheel and weld on new. In dirt car / roundy round catalogs like Speedway and the like. BTW, the arms from the factory had NO threads. The new ball joint would cut the threads when it was installed.

Control arms were not threaded at the factory. The ball joints are self tapping and cut their own threads when installed. This is why the threads are never very deep in the control arms. I think Moog makes some over sized ball joints to address the issue.

Should have clarified these are tubular a-arms. Just would feel better if threads were cleaned up before I tack weld them.

Control arms were not threaded at the factory. The ball joints are self tapping and cut their own threads when installed. This is why the threads are never very deep in the control arms. I think Moog makes some over sized ball joints to address the issue.

This is true, i have a set of NOS upper arms.....NO threads.
My friend has tack welded some before and works fine.

I've seen those steel pieces before that are used for fabricating tubular arms or repairing OEM arms. They do come with the threads pre-formed probably because its much more material than the ball joints male threads could form.
I don't know the thread dimensions. Whoever it is that makes those parts knows.
Tack weld may be your quickest/simplest solution..

-
Back