upper control arm bushings

-

Mikes270dart

Reaction score
I have a 1965 dart. How hard is it to replace the upper control arm bushings. I am also doing the upper and lower ball joints so while it is apart i might as well do everything. Any tricks or do i just start unbolting.

If they are pressed in like the are on later a bodies, it's kind of a pain. I had to take it completely off and use a bench vice and sockets to press the old ones out and new ones in. If you're taking it completely apart anyway, then it won't really be too much of a pain.

I replaced the upper control arm bushings on my car when it was 10 or 11 years old. I had access to a full shop with a press & air tools & it was a PITA! I remember using an air chisel to cut them out. Hope things go better for you. :D

I have a 65 Dart. The bushings are just like later Darts (even big C-bodies), though might be a different size. I have always taken the upper arms to an auto machine shop and had them do it. Last time was the local Carquest shop. Since then, I got a Harbor Freight 20-ton press, so will try myself. Don't know how I lived without it.

One problem common in the North is that the thru bolts get rusted to the bushing. True even on my 69 Dart which mostly lived in FL & GA. You can pry the bracket away enough to get a hacksaw on the bolt, which how I got them off.

The bushings are cheap, <$20 for set of 4. The shop time is more.

If this is a one time repair, have a machine shop do the work. If you may be doing again or you already have a press/vise, you can change the bushings fairly easily assuming like BillGrissom mentioned, that the adjustment bolts will come out. The hardest part is removing the ball joint. Have the machine shop do it (mention to them that it threads out....not press-out!!) or buy a special socket to do it yourself. I like to loosen them while the control arm is still bolted to the frame rail. Just make sure the car is sitting securely on stands as you can move the car around with enough leverage. If it were me, I'd do the whole front end.....lower bushing, strut rods, etc. Get the offset upper bushings so you can get more adjustment out of it.

cracked back... i love when you reply. i cant get enough of that picture. it makes my thirsty for a big glass of milk.

B body, but same principle ( I used to be front end Chevy mech). We trieg everything on the uppers for 2 hours, knew better than to try the lowers. Local shop;both uppers and lowers with our parts, $100, 4 hours.

They make tools to remove the upper control arms,tie rod ends,torsion bars,etc. but if its a one time deal ...shop. I have the tool for the control arms and I could do them on the car and when a friend needs one it ll cost them my favorite beverage!!! Oh yeah CRACKED BACK SHOULD HAVE TO RESPOND TO EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

where in to are you if you can drop them off to me i can pres them out and back in for you on my lunch hour pm me if interested

If your local parts store has a tool rental program get yourself a balljoint press set. Get the large set and it will have all the fitting you need to get these out. You also could do all your bushing and ball joints with this tool as well. And it would be a good time as you will nead a alignment afterwords anyway. If you go to rockauto.com you can get these parts alot cheaper then the autostores.

-
Back