upper control arm help!!!!!!!!

-

carls72dart

Reaction score
I was removing the cam bolt from my upper control arm on my 72 dart. One bolt snapped and I've been unable to get it out!!! Any and all help is greatly appreciated!! I tried to hammer the small piece sticking out with no luck. I tried adding a small pry bar while using the hammer and no luck!!! If I didn't shave my head, I'd pull all my hair out!!!!

What fun these are ehh! First off did you soak it down with some penetrating oil? Also which side did you break does the bolt still have the head on it? Try to rotate the bolt and hammer at the same time.

Time for the "flame wrench" (torch)
You probably don't have one, but find someone that has the equipment that does, and bring it over to you.
The bolt is rusted to the bushing.
Good luck.
They are a ***** to do when they are rusted.

Yep, the bolt is rusted to the sleeve of the bushing. Do you have access to an air hammer?

The last one I had that did that took a torch to get it out. I tried a air hammer but it was a total miss and was hard to get it in where I needed it.

I understand........just not used to rusted parts here very often, so my suggestion may not work :eek:ops:

Yeah...pull out the torch :thumblef:

I had the same thing on my Scamp when i tore it apart. Soak it down really good. Then then turn the bolt it may only go just a bit each way give that oil a chance to work its way in there. it was a PITA but I got it without a torch. Your doing the best thing you can do now is take a break run out soak the piss outta it. Sleep on it and try again tomorrow.

I just looked, and found out that your in Massachusetts.
Working on the suspension of a 41 year old car, where your from, is going to take a torch, for sure.

Attachments

• torch 2.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 193
Thanks for the feedback everyone!! It's the driver's side closest to the firewall!! Looks like I might have to call in some favors to get this one out! Unfortunately, where the car is being worked on, I have no availability for air tools! I also don't have a torch! I'll call a few friends in the morning and pray:) thanks again for the feedback!!

-
Back