Upper control arm I.D. or I think I got took

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here are 3 sets of UCA's I just found out today while painting them that 2 pair of them are bigger than one.I bought the pair on the right at a swap meet in April, was told they were A-Body. Busted my but yesterday removing the bushings on them.
The Tubular ones, I bought from a member here about 3-4 yrs ago. Was told they were A-Body.
The small ones I bought on this site last year. I think (hope) they are A-Body. Was checking them over today, to dsee if I had all the bushings out, and thats when I noticed the difference in the two factory pairs.
Are the small ones for Abody,???. What are the other larger pair,???. they are all large ball joint.
Thanks Dave
20180620_140423.jpg

Last edited:
The one on the ends are mostly likely for 62-72 B’s or 70-74 E’s

A’s are all the same width at the bushings. Ball joints changed in 73 for the most part from small to large (B & E size)

Thanks everyone. Looks like I have some selling to do. I was rounding up parts for a couple early A,s I am working on,and didn't pay good attention to what I was acumulating.
Dave

post the measurements when you sell them so the next guy doesn't have the same issue. anyone know if B's and C's are the same size?

post the measurements when you sell them so the next guy doesn't have the same issue. anyone know if B's and C's are the same size?

I measured across the UCA's from flange to flange (not bushing to bushing). You can see the measurement in the pictures as far as where I measured from, I turned them over as that was by far the easiest, most consistent measurement. Probably not the greatest measurement to translate to a tubular UCA though. You can also see how the arms look pretty different from one to the other as well.

A-body: 8.5"
IMG_5324.jpg

E-body (all)/B-body (62-72): 10.5"
IMG_5321.jpg

C-body (taken from a '73, not sure how else that lines up) : 11"

IMG_5325.jpg

From what I have found out today. I called Firm Feel, and gave them the O.D. measurements of 11 1/2 inches, from outside of bushings, to out side of bushings, and I.D. measurements of 7 3/4 inches bushing to bushing, and he told me they were "B", and "E" body Upper arms. The factory arms are real close to the measurements without the bushings.
Measurements on the firm feel w/o the bushings is... O.D. to O. D. 10 3/4 inches. In side measurements are I.D. to I.D.
7 3/4 inches. factory arms are about the same.

Dave

The measurment on your "B" and "E" body arm is what I get on mine, also.
The "A" body one is the same as mine also.
Thanks for confirming that for me.

Dave

From what I have found out today. I called Firm Feel, and gave them the O.D. measurements of 11 1/2 inches, from outside of bushings, to out side of bushings, and I.D. measurements of 7 3/4 inches bushing to bushing, and he told me they were "B", and "E" body Upper arms. The factory arms are real close to the measurements without the bushings.
Measurements on the firm feel w/o the bushings is... O.D. to O. D. 10 3/4 inches. In side measurements are I.D. to I.D.
7 3/4 inches. factory arms are about the same.

Dave

The measurment on your "B" and "E" body arm is what I get on mine, also.
The "A" body one is the same as mine also.
Thanks for confirming that for me.

Dave

No problem!

So your tubular arms are for a B/E body then? At least they're Firm Feel tubular arms. I would imagine you could sell those and the B/E original UCA's you have for a decent chunk of money and recoup enough to buy a good set of tubular A-body UCA's if that's what you want.

-
Back