Upper Control Arms Dust Boots/Bushings

-

Monstro_bjj

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Probably a dumb question but I’m having issues finding replacement dust boots for the upper controls arms on my 72 Swinger. Does anyone know where I can find these? Or what I can use as a replacement?

Thanks all!

Hi guys,

Probably a dumb question but I’m having issues finding replacement dust boots for the upper controls arms on my 72 Swinger. Does anyone know where I can find these? Or what I can use as a replacement?

Thanks all!
Never seen a dust boot. They are bushings pressed into the uca

20200512_141121.jpg

Maybe I’m looking for an upper ball joint? That comes with the “dust boot” I think I’m looking for…

View attachment 1715863090
Oh ok that makes more sense. Lol I don't know if they sell them separately. They come with the ball joints if the boot is busted chances are the ball joint needs replaced. Might as well replace it. How long has it been busted for. Is it an old ball joint or recently replaced. The issue is if the boot is busted dirt and degree gets in the joint and just wears at them. Not only that but also the grease gets gone then you have a dry joint and they don't last long like that. Id replace the whole ball joint if it were mine.

Oh ok that makes more sense. Lol I don't know if they sell them separately. They come with the ball joints if the boot is busted chances are the ball joint needs replaced. Might as well replace it. How long has it been busted for. Is it an old ball joint or recently replaced. The issue is if the boot is busted dirt and degree gets in the joint and just wears at them. Not only that but also the grease gets gone then you have a dry joint and they don't last long like that. Id replace the whole ball joint if it were mine.

That makes total sense! Thank you. I literally picked up my Dart about a week ago so not sure how long it’s been that way.

Replacement it is. Thanks again.

Rock Auto has ball joint boots. They also have ball joints. 65'

If your ballpoints are snug, flush any gunk out with grease, and replace the boots.
New ball joints probably won't be as high a quality piece as those you already have. Also, you can only replace your uppers a couple of times before you'll need to tack weld them or replace the control arms. So, if they're still good, do yourself a favor and just do the boots.

Screenshot_20220202-002534.png

I willcompare
FYI that ball joint screws in. There is a smaller socket for 68-72 a-body or larger for 73-?.
https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...KAJ_nortnyTqRutAAhYaAvngEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ken is the small upper ball joint press in? I have yet to replace one because they always get swapped to later 73 up style. Another thing I have noticed is that some of the tubular aftermarket control arms have the locator for the upper ball joint boot and some do not. As an example qa1 does have the locating ring for the boot while performance online does not.

The location of the UCA boot is entirely dependent on the ball joint. It should be an interference fit with the outer casing of the ball joint and should fit closely over the stud that attaches to the steering knuckle. Any extra material in that area may be there for strength, good looks or what have you, but it is incidental to the location of the boot.

Today we can buy dang near ANYTHING on the interweb. There were a lot of years when replacement boots alone were not available. If you ask a parts counter clerk, why not? The answer was "keeps the mechanics honest". Some of them might install new boot and charge for joint replacement.

-
Back