Upper control arms, Hate em', Hate em', Hate em'!

-

Gryzynx

Senior Moment
Reaction score
Grrrrrrr!!!!!!

The last time I rebuilt an A body front end was in 1980. Time has not healed the process.

Just got the uppers off the donor car. Like so many others, I found the front cam bolts came out OK, but the rears were stuck. I tried to save the cam bolts and the car is scrap, so I cut the rear brackets off. The nut side was easy, just split it thru the middle and break the ears off with a pair of vise grips. The bolt side is a little more challenging, cut what I could with a sawzall and pried the rest out with a big bar. Idea is to save the arms and the cam bolts because they seem to the the pieces you can't buy anymore. Well, the driver's side comes out and I take the arm to the press to see if I can press out the cam bolt. I put the nut on the end to save the threads. Didn't screw it all the way on and I put the 20 ton jack to it. Did not manage to pop the bolt out, but I managed to press the nut on, ruining the threads. Back to the car and went after the left arm. Managed to bend the arm with my big bar.

I think the A body front end is really quite a unique design and works well for the most part, but those cheesey upper control arms have got to be the weak link here. I don't want to get into a big redesign here, but I'm beginning to see an Alterkation kit in my future. For now, I've got to make the car roll again. Problem is I need the late model UCA's for my disk brakes and I can't find a source for new stamped UCA's or the cam bolts. I may go the tubular route. Read all the posts about which to use, but I'm still pretty leery about the factory control arm mounts. Any advice as how to stiffen up this area?

Cam bolts are available at the local autoparts store, I got mine at Autozone.
I got a "new" UCA from someone on here and there seemed to be quite a few people who had extras

Cam bolts are available at the local autoparts store, I got mine at Autozone.
I got a "new" UCA from someone on here and there seemed to be quite a few people who had extras

Tried NAPA, no luck. No AutoZone in Melville Sk. I've got 2 good bolts from the parts car and with any luck, I should be able to salvage some from the Cuda. Might be able to straighten my UCA, just ticked off at myself for bending it. Was able to buy new bushings at NAPA.

Plus there are the Moog offset cam bolts

Eccentric bushings; K7103

Shafts (bolts);K7030

good used UCAs show up on ebay every now and then at ~$80-$150. You'll still need to add new UBJ and bushings. If you need cam bolts, I can send you 2 - just pay for mailing from NJ.

I went with RMS tubular UCAs. The come with bushings or heim joints and new UBJs.

good used UCAs show up on ebay every now and then at ~$80-$150.

There's at least 3 pair on Ebay at any one time.

And yes, those back cam bolts are a *****! I have one left to do on my car right now. The other side came out after a couple hours of beating and prying. I've been soaking this side in penetrant for about 2 weeks.

Learned something new today. Those cam bolts are available as a universal kit that fits Mopar, Ford and GM applications. I had no idea it was such a common part. NAPA is redeemed!

Learned something new today. Those cam bolts are available as a universal kit that fits Mopar, Ford and GM applications. I had no idea it was such a common part. NAPA is redeemed!

You might want to re-check the info from NAPA. The Mopar cam bolts are unique and I've never heard of a "universal kit" that fits the big 3 apps.

I looked up the number on RockAuto.com Moog K8243A $15.19 per pair.

I google searched that part number and found this guy on Ebay. He has 9 pair for $7.95 each plus shipping.

Ebay link

NAPA part # 264-3594. Cost me $10.59 each, (trade price).

-
Back