Upper door hinge: do I need this part?

-

Woodsman341

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding my upper hinges on a '75 Dart. I realize this part of the hinge assembly is probably to keep the door from overextending, but every single picture I have seen on Google and sale sites shows the hinge without this part.

Opinions on keeping it versus deleting it, before I drive the pins all rhe way home?

IMG_20230511_113525956~2.jpg

That's a first for me I assume it is sandwiched between the solid part of the hinge and the stamped part.

If it is removed will there be slop?

That's a first for me I assume it is sandwiched between the solid part of the hinge and the stamped part.

If it is removed will there be slop?

Hmm, yeah, now that you mention it, removing that part would definitely leave a gap, vertically. See, that's why I ask questions here, because someone will think of the obvious things my tired brain has somehow missed. :)

Oddly, those hinges were from a set of '72 Duster doors, and I have a spare I pulled from a '74 Valiant, and it also has that part.

I guess I'll go ahead with these, and if there are issues, I'll search the local yards for others.

Also different left to right... The pins are upside down if swapped side to side :rofl:

Is that the door stop will it open too far without it?

Is that the door stop will it open too far without it?
It is definitely a door stop, and it would keep the door from opening too far, but I also wonder if the design of the lower hinge also prevents the door from opening too far. My main concern is that if I leave these "stops" in place, they may loosen over time and rattle or clank when the door is closed going down the road.

I'm just on the fence. I could leave them and see what happens, or I could remove the pins, remove the stops, and then shim with washers. I don't know...

1967-1976 - A & 1967-1970 B-body lowers are the same and suffer from the same issues.
Stress cracks in the lower hinges.
The doorstop shown was used on later A-body uppers (post 1972) to prevent over extension of the lowers causing stress cracks.
The B-body hinges were redesigned completely in 1971.
The A-body stayed the same until 1976.
All E-body upper hinges have the same door stop built into the upper hinges because of the long, heavy doors causing a lot of lower hinge stress.
Left and right side lower hinges are the same part. Just flipped over for the other side and the direction of the pivot pin is also reversed so the top of the pin is on the top of the hinge.
Mopar Door hinges are all we do.

A B LWER HINGE REBUILT 1.jpg

bad hinge crack 2.jpg

hinge-crack.jpg

e upper hinge.jpg

a b e parts.jpg

Attachments

• 2023 MEMBER HINGE PRICE LIST.pdf
    61.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
1967-1976 - A & 1967-1970 B-body lowers are the same and suffer from the same issues.
Stress cracks in the lower hinges.
The doorstop shown was used on later A-body uppers (post 1972) to prevent over extension of the lowers causing stress cracks.
The B-body hinges were redesigned completely in 1971.
The A-body stayed the same until 1976.
All E-body upper hinges have the same door stop built into the upper hinges because of the long, heavy doors causing a lot of lower hinge stress.
Left and right side lower hinges are the same part. Just flipped over for the other side and the direction of the pivot pin is also reversed so the top of the pin is on the top of the hinge.
Mopar Door hinges are all we do.

View attachment 1716088885

View attachment 1716088886

View attachment 1716088887

View attachment 1716088888

View attachment 1716088889

Thank you, MoparLeo, for a wonderfully complete answer, and some history! I will definitely leave the stops on and proceed from there.

Thanks again!

-
Back