Upper & Lower Control Arm Bushings

-

parishpbs

Reaction score
I am attempting to rebuild the front end on my 67 Dart. I have new bushings and wonder if it is possible to remove and install the new bushings without a press? Is it worth my time and effort or should I just suck it up and find a front end shop to do the install?

A hammer and a well evenly supported arm, it can be done..thats how I 1st did mine.

but the lowers are a diff story, I had to press them in.

Thanks for the response. Not sure if I will go with the hammer method since I will need a press anyway. Now to locate a shop that won't mess up the arms getting them in.

Any one else got a secret on ways to get this job done?

I made a tool from a 2" hose nipple with a big washer welded on the large end. Then I could run a piece of all thread through, with a washer, and tighten it up. It pulls 'em out easily. I'll try to get a photo for you later today.

Yes, it is. Mine is a 2" hose barb with the threads cut off and a washer welded on the end. I elongated the hole a bit so it can pull squarely. I actually used the nipple with a flat strap with a hole drilled in it a few times before I decided to make a permanent tool.

I remove and install the lower bushings in a similar manner with a piece of thin wall tubing from my buddies circle track shop. One day I'll beg him for it and weld another tool together.

Attachments

• DSC_0009.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 144
A hammer and a well evenly supported arm, it can be done..thats how I 1st did mine.

but the lowers are a diff story, I had to press them in.

Boy, I don't agree with this. There are tons of plumbing/ hydraulic/ hardware junk available, that with some bolts, etc, one can cobble up a puller for the job. Sometimes looking at tool catalogues, or searching ebay "fer the pictures" gives you some ideas on how to do so.

I can't afford to egghole a control arm because I missed with a BFH

Boy, I don't agree with this. There are tons of plumbing/ hydraulic/ hardware junk available, that with some bolts, etc, one can cobble up a puller for the job. Sometimes looking at tool catalogues, or searching ebay "fer the pictures" gives you some ideas on how to do so.

I can't afford to egghole a control arm because I missed with a BFH

I am still driving on those upper control arms and same poly bushings...8 yrs later

People say what they will and it's cool cause everyone has an opinion, but when those same people watch me work and do my thing, they see how while out of the ordinary it may sometimes seem and even on the edge of shade tree, it always works, functions and lasts .....thats one thing I am always about=proper function/durability.:burnout:

Ps....I used a rock that was outside of my house that had the perfect shape/angle on it's flat to set the arm against :rambo:
I even lit the old rubber a blaze to burn it out then hacksaw'a a line across the shell.

To remove them just burn them out and hacksaw the shell and tap out with a chisel or punch, tapping them in does not take that much, you dont have to bash the sht out of them.

-
Back