UPPER STEERING COLUMN BEARING GREASE?

-

Troub

67 Dart 270, 225 slant six
Reaction score
Reassembling my 67 Darts steering column and have a question on what/any grease to use on the upper bearing? Pic of the bearing...

C922549C-BAC0-4FFD-8B74-8E637D49C82F.jpeg

I does not take much, just kinda work it in.

I never found that bearing packed with grease from the factory. I have found it rusty. Grease does create some resistance and collect contaminates. Could be that it got no more than a couple drops of machine oil. Many if not all have a rubber sleeve on the outside to help silence them. I question if its even made of hardened high carbon steel like a typical load duty bearing.

I’ll be working on the bottom end of the column next. You think the same applies to the bearing down there? Not the plastic white one, I’m talking the metal collar bearing that nestles into the bottom of the white one. You can see the bottom of that bearing housing meeting the white plastic collar in the pic. Thankfully this is not my column!

F49529F3-E4A7-479B-9BFB-52135450AAE9.jpeg

Last edited:
I never found that bearing packed with grease from the factory. I have found it rusty. Grease does create some resistance and collect contaminates. Could be that it got no more than a couple drops of machine oil. Many if not all have a rubber sleeve on the outside to help silence them. I question if its even made of hardened high carbon steel like a typical load duty bearing.
I just rebuilt the column on my 70 Cuda, it definitely had grease in it.

I’ll be working on the bottom end of the column next. You think the same applies to the bearing down there? Not the plastic white one, I’m talking the metal collar bearing that nestles into the bottom of the white one. You can see the bottom of that bearing housing meeting the white plastic collar in the pic. Thankfully this is not my column!

View attachment 1715485820
The lower bearing would have some grease in it. It's more exposed to the elements. Some models don't even have a lower bearing. A little grease in the upper could hurt. I wouldn't pack it like a wheel bearing, just lubricate.

I’ll be working on the bottom end of the column next. You think the same applies to the bearing down there? Not the plastic white one, I’m talking the metal collar bearing that nestles into the bottom of the white one.

The stock replacement bearings are pretty expensive. Do a search for an ER16 bearing. It's inexpensive and can be used instead of the stock lower bearing. It's sealed and requires no extra lubrication.

I've always had good luck with the liquid graphite speedometer cable lube in these.

The stock replacement bearings are pretty expensive. Do a search for an ER16 bearing. It's inexpensive and can be used instead of the stock lower bearing. It's sealed and requires no extra lubrication.
Bursar you may have solved my lower bearing problem. You sure an ER16 will replace the 67 lower bearing with no issues? If so it would be awesome as my actual ball bearings in that housing are shot. The stock bearing comes apart in about 5 pieces too and I’m not feeling really good about trying to find new balls and putting it back together.

D8FF4BBC-AEA0-4CDC-837C-308BEF760A33.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is a thread on the subject.
How To Replace your Lower Column Bearing: Better and Cheaper!!!
I added the bearing to my 68 column. I don't know if there are differences is the 67 column. I had to slightly modify my shift tube to make the bearing work but it was easy. My car is a floor shift so the inner shift tube doesn't do anything in my application. It's been a few years since I did it but IIRC I gutted the lower plastic piece and flipped it upside down and sanded the sides so it would slide into the outer column jacket. The shift tube needed to be supported at the bottom. I left the large spring in place so it would push up on the shift tube and hold it in place. I ground off a little of the shift tube to shorten it up a little. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense but it was pretty easy to do. Once you get in there you'll figure it out.

DSCN2197_zps4499a6f3.jpg

DSCN2199_zps3282e25e.jpg

DSCN2200_zpsdafea7a9.jpg

DSCN2208-zpsd25dc21e.jpg

I used the Er-16 bearing on my 73 duster.
I actually was going to use them on my 70 Cuda column, but they will not work with the one year lockout.
I have two new bearings sitting on my work bench.

Here is a thread on the subject.
How To Replace your Lower Column Bearing: Better and Cheaper!!!
I added the bearing to my 68 column. I don't know if there are differences is the 67 column. I had to slightly modify my shift tube to make the bearing work but it was easy. My car is a floor shift so the inner shift tube doesn't do anything in my application. It's been a few years since I did it but IIRC I gutted the lower plastic piece and flipped it upside down and sanded the sides so it would slide into the outer column jacket. The shift tube needed to be supported at the bottom. I left the large spring in place so it would push up on the shift tube and hold it in place. I ground off a little of the shift tube to shorten it up a little. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense but it was pretty easy to do. Once you get in there you'll figure it out.

View attachment 1715485936

View attachment 1715485937

View attachment 1715485938

View attachment 1715485939
The how to articles seem to all be for a floor shift, mine is a column. Can this be done with a column shift?

I actually was going to use them on my 70 Cuda column, but they will not work with the one year lockout.
Sireland67, was your Duster a floor shift?

maybe it does work on column shift. The column in example above does have shift tube and spring.

maybe it does work on column shift. The column in example above does have shift tube and spring.
If I could find the replacement ball bearings to put in the mast bearing housing I would try and put the old housing back together. Classic Industries has the 67 specific column rebuild kit that comes with a bag of replacement balls but it costs about $170 and I don’t need the other bits
included.

If I could find the replacement ball bearings to put in the mast bearing housing I would try and put the old housing back together. Classic Industries has the 67 specific column rebuild kit that comes with a bag of replacement balls but it costs about $170 and I don’t need the other bits
included.
It isn't much more than a glorified bicycle bearing. Is there a full service bicycle shop in your town? Might read like a wild goose chase but I know others have found the solution there. Those may have been different models though.

Last edited:
It isn't much more than a glorified bicycle bearing. Is there a full service bicycle shop in your town? Might read like a wild goose chase but I know others have found the solution there. Those may have been different models though.
Yup. A lot of older bicycles use loose ball bearings (no cages).
Some motorcycles too.

As far as 67 vs. 68. not the same. I don't reall the differences off hand, but its pretty obvious when you see them.

I assume you've seen this, but if not
1967 Imperial & Chrysler Steering Column Service Book - Session 241

Yup. A lot of older bicycles use loose ball bearings (no cages).
Some motorcycles too.

As far as 67 vs. 68. not the same. I don't reall the differences off hand, but its pretty obvious when you see them.

I assume you've seen this, but if not
1967 Imperial & Chrysler Steerin
g Column Service Book - Session 241
Hey Mattax,
Yeah that manual is a great resource. The accompanying video from the Tech Series is on YouTube as well. I posted another thread on the Steering Forum asking if anyone had used the 67 rebuild kit that’s on EBAY from a vendor in NC. CJRods......supposed to come with the white plastic support, the actual mast bearing, a spring and a collar. $70....

Hey Mattax,
Yeah that manual is a great resource. The accompanying video from the Tech Series is on YouTube as well. I posted another thread on the Steering Forum asking if anyone had used the 67 rebuild kit that’s on EBAY from a vendor in NC. CJRods......supposed to come with the white plastic support, the actual mast bearing, a spring and a collar. $70....
IIRC Chrysler had a parts package for the column. Maybe that's new old stock or a repop of that package. I know I bought and still have some individual parts from a dealer - but pretty sure not the spring etc.

Hey Sireland, my 73 Duster is a floor shifted manual trans. My steering column does not have a lower bearing in it. Will this setup work on mine? Thanks.

-
Back