Urgent!!! F,M,J spindle hoses

-

TheDeputy

Reaction score
I'm installing the F,M,J spindle on my 68 valiant to upgrade it to disc brakes,
but the supplied hoses are wrong, because they are for front installation of the calipers, but I have to mount them in the rear of the rotor.

Does anyone have a part number for the correct hoses for my application.
The hose connects to the underside of the caliper

The donor parts come from a 1984 chrysler fifth avenue.

See my resto thread for pics
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=169746&page=2

Thanks

Antoon

66 Valiant, used 73 Duster discs, I mounted my calipers towards the rear, used Volare/Aspen hoses, not sure what the number was though.

I've ordered two sets of hoses. One set is for a 79 volare and the other for a 1980 volare. Since there were no other replies I didn't know what year so had to order them both.
Hopefully they come in next week and I can see which ones fit best.

Antoon

Couldnt you flip the calipers side to side and use top mounting hoses. Are your bleeders on top in your configuration? If not I see a problem.

You could try using the correct late-A spindles so you're not having ball joint failures and hose issues....

I've been there and done it, and it's not pretty. I'm surprised there are people on this site using the FMJ stuff.

I've ordered two sets of hoses. One set is for a 79 volare and the other for a 1980 volare. Since there were no other replies I didn't know what year so had to order them both.
Hopefully they come in next week and I can see which ones fit best.

Antoon

I think you'll find both sets of hoses you ordered will be idenical as the ones you have they use the same calipers as a 1983 M (I have 2- 78 volares and numberous M's) the M bodies have the calipers mounted in the front of the rotor so your going to have abit of troubles finding the correct hoses. did you try switching your passengers side flex hose for the drivers side? they are different and that can mess things up but I doubt its going to help things

The hoses I have are supposed to be for the 73-up A-body, and because of the long piece of solid line there was no way of installing them safely.
I ordered the new hoses at rockauto, and according to the pictures they are different. The 79 ones are straight, and the 80 ones have a 90 degree turn at the frame side.
Antoon

I've been told Late B (Cordoba) hoses will work.
I have a set on my 66 Coronet with M body spindles.
They fit a lot better than the M body or early B hoses, but I am not sure yet if the banjo bolt holes are lining up properly, as I haven't put fluid in the system.

Ok, small update.
Last week I ordered two sets of hoses. one set for a 79 volare, and one set for a 1980 volare.
They were different with the 79 looking the most promising.

I tried them and found out that the 1980 ones don't fit.
The 1979 ones looked decent, but there was still rubbing on the frame.

So I switched the calipers side to side, so the right one is on the left and vice versa. Then I installed both the 73-up a-body hoses and the 1979 volare hoses, and found the 73-up hoses to fit perfectly with no binding or anything at all.
Only drawback is that the calipers are now upside down making it difficult to bleed them, but if I take em off while bleeding that won't be a problem.

I'll post some definitive installation pics tomorrow.

Antoon

You could try using the correct late-A spindles so you're not having ball joint failures and hose issues....

I've been there and done it, and it's not pretty. I'm surprised there are people on this site using the FMJ stuff.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the FMJ spindles. In fact, there are several suspension geometry items that are actually IMPROVED by using the slightly taller FMJ spindle. There should be no ball joint issues whatsoever as long as you switch to the later '73+ UCA's.

And you don't have to believe me, Mopar Muscle did a full investigation on using the later FMJ spindles, article is here

Their conclusion?

"Overall, using the B-spindle will result in geometry changes that are unnoticeable with all but the most aggressive drivers running against a stopwatch. Even at that, there's a good argument that the increased camber gain will have a positive impact on cornering while the increased toe-in through extension will go undetected."

Read more: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...isc_brake_spindles/viewall.html#ixzz1jBTHgvPr

Also, they mention several times the increased roll center height. While this can be a problem for stock height cars, seriously lowered A-bodies can end up with a roll center that's actually negative. A slightly higher roll center in those cars would actually be a good thing. Paired with a set of wider tires, as a car set up for handling should have, the toe-change becomes much less noticeable, and the -camber gain more important. I personally think that for an A-body set up for handling, the late B and FMJ spindles might actually be an improvement, as long as the changes in geometry are accounted for when setting up the rest of the suspension.

Where my car is at ride height wise, from there to compress it is right where I start into some good camber gain. My upper control arm at my ride height is level to slightly upward. I have 73+ A body spindles. Thats another problem with the dropped spindles, I bet you are on the bumps before you get into any good camber gain. Might be a good idea to use spacers on the lower ball joint to spindle point to make the lower control arm in effect longer.

I'm installing the F,M,J spindle on my 68 valiant to upgrade it to disc brakes,
but the supplied hoses are wrong, because they are for front installation of the calipers, but I have to mount them in the rear of the rotor.

Does anyone have a part number for the correct hoses for my application.
The hose connects to the underside of the caliper

The donor parts come from a 1984 chrysler fifth avenue.

See my resto thread for pics
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=169746&page=2

Thanks

Antoon

worst case just call bill at RMS. he sells a braised hose kit with everything ya need for like $60 or so..

Where my car is at ride height wise, from there to compress it is right where I start into some good camber gain. My upper control arm at my ride height is level to slightly upward. I have 73+ A body spindles. Thats another problem with the dropped spindles, I bet you are on the bumps before you get into any good camber gain. Might be a good idea to use spacers on the lower ball joint to spindle point to make the lower control arm in effect longer.

With 2" drop spindles maybe, but the FMJ spindles aren't drop spindles. First off, they're only 3/8" taller. Second, the distance between the lower ball joint and the axle doesn't change, the 3/8" is above the axle, so it raises the upper ball joint with respect to the axis. While that changes the angle of the upper control arm, it shouldn't actually change the ride height. If anything, you'll end up with more suspension travel on extension.

FMJ spindle on the left, '73+ A-body on the right.

mopp_0503_03_z+disc_brake_spindles+a_body_spindles.jpg

I know, I just couldnt resist. I am not an anti FMJ spindle guy at all. I guess if some one wants to run at stock front ride height in an A-body the FMJs would be better. But once lowered there isnt much difference. I brought up the drop spindle thing just for you 72blu lol!

Ok, so last night I was finally able to end the brake hose debacle.
And this is how I did it:
In order to mount the F spindels on my 68 valiant with front sway bar I had to swap spindels right to left, so the calipers are in the rear.
And to be sure I don't have issue's with dangerous bends in the hoses I installed the calipers upside down, so left one on the right side, and other way around.
I used the 73-up a-body hoses I initially started with. The rockauto part number for those hoses is: WAGNER BH79382.
The hoses were also installed upside down, so the hard line goes down towards the caliper.
In order to bleed then properly I had to balance them om the LCA with the bleeder on top.

Check out the pics!

Antoon

Attachments

• jane 185.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 254
  • jane 186.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 252
Yeah daredevil, thanks for your tip. I tried it and it really works. No hose issue's whatsoever. Only bleeding issues, but that's nothing that can't be solved.

Antoon

-
Back